Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help me! I am lopsided!!!

Red face Help me! I am lopsided!!!

I am dying because as my left breast is gradually getting larger, my right breast is shrinking!! My husband has even noticed the difference in sizes. I can pump 4 oz from my left breast, but I can barely squeeze out an oz from my right breast. Is this going to be a permanent problem?? What should I do?? I try to encourage my baby to nurse from the right side to increase the supply, but he fights it and screams until I nurse him on the left side. I am open to any suggestions. PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Re: Help me! I am lopsided!!!

I don't have a great suggestion just encouragement to let you know you're not alone. My left produces a lot more than my right because my daughter prefers the left. She will nurse from the right, and sometimes she doesn't want to at all. I've managed by laying her down on her nursing pillow on my bed, hovering over her right arm holding myself up... like the football position except I'm not holding her she's laying on her pillow. This works for us, she happily eats this way. I don't know why, perhaps because she doesn't have to lay on her left side

Best of luck, you'll both find a way that works I'm sure.

I agree with the pp, you're definitely not alone. Most of us are lopsided and have one breast that either produces or lets down better than the other and which baby prefers. Once you stop breastfeeding, your breasts should even out again. Until then, I'd try not to worry about it too much. Also, remember that pumping is not a good indictator of supply--you may just let down easier on your left side. You could try pumping on that side until you let down and then latch baby on that side.

Here is a link from the kellymom site with more info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

oh man can I join in and say you really aren't alone. I call myself frankin boobie. I am always lopsided and some morning my left breast is so hudge.. We laugh about ist but it is embarrassing.. I try to pump a little out in the morninng before I go anywhere so I is not so obvious....especially if she hasn't eaten on that side yet...but it really is worth it..we are giving them the best food possible and it will all be a great story we can embarrass them about later right..

hi there and welcome to the forum!

as all the previous posters stated, you are NOT alone! i'm the same way, but with opposite boobs! LOL! my right side is the bigger one. my dd sometimes fusses when i nurse her on the left side, but i always start each nursing session on the smaller side...and have her nurse at least 10 minutes on the smaller side before offering her the right side.

do you pump? one thing you can try is to pump your right side to stimulate more...increased demand means more milk! it's not a surefire way to get rid of your lopsided-ness, but maybe it'll help with your son not being so fussy on that side because there will be more milk available.

good luck and post back if you have more questions!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I can totally relate- my left boob is virtually non-existant and my right one is mongo... my friends at work tease me about it because it's so drastic! Aaron just doesn't like to nurse on my left one for some reason. I've started trying to relactate that breast by pumping several times a day. I've only been actively pumping several times a day for a couple of weeks, before that he would nurse from it like once a day for 1 minute or less so it was gradually shrinking. The pumping has made my breast a little bit larger, but it's a slow go. Sometimes now that I'm pumping, he will nurse from it because there is more milk but not often. I can honestly say he's been this way for about 3 months. The pumping at least keeps it from drying up totally although I hope he will change his mind again someday!

Hang in there, mom!