Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping help ... an i doing this completely wrong?

Default Re: Pumping help ... an i doing this completely wrong?

yup and it realy is a learned art!
    the more stressed you are the less milk your going to be able to express with any pump or mythod.
    You have to try diffent ways and see what works best for you.

@llli*3boysmomma - Thanks! Yes, I did try some hand expression. I can get the same as pumping or even more... and seems like in less time, but still about only 0.5 oz each time.

Its hard to pump b/c baby feeds every 1.5 - 2 hours so by the time his diaper is changed, I don't have much time left until he eats again (b/c he nurses for almost an hour)

I guess its still early to learn how to pump, but when I do go back to work in May, I will definitely need to be relying on the pump as I will be working full work days away from baby.

How did it take for you to see results with your PISA? I guess I just need to practice pumping after I feed (perhaps after every other feeding since I need to nurse so frequently) to get my body use to pumping??? Gosh, I thought pumping was supposed to be the easy part...

I think my issue is trying to "let down" ... I never see that part so it seems like the 0.5 oz I am getting is just left over from baby's feeding....

Does that seem to make sense?

Thanks!

I bought the freestyle first and HATED it! It was clumsy, too many parts, and very noisy.

I called Medela and told them I hated it, so the had me return it to them and sent me a brand new one to replace it so I could take it back to the store unopened.

Then I bought a Pump and Style I like it much better. It is simple, less parts and not noisy. I made it hands free by cutting slits in an old sports bra which I slip on over my nursing bra with the the trap doors open.

So much better.
    TW
    <Abigail 9/6/10>

I have a old pump in style. Other than the size i love it.

I always think that the let down is when it starts to spray.

My second let down when pumping is always very short (this would be like what you would get after LO nurses) and I only get about a half ounce from it.

Sometimes it takes awhile to get used to the pump. Also if you are pump watchng (you like a watched pot never boils) sometimes the stress of it all affects your letdown. Try reading a book, watching tv whatever to take your mind off it.

Call medela because they might exchange your pump for a pump in style at this point. I waited too long with my first pump and the time frame they do that sort of thing in expired and so i had to borrow my friends pump in style.

hope that helps!!

ETA: It sounds like your little one is gaining weight fine. I was told if they double their weight by 6 months and triple it by 1 year that that is more than enough! Also just keep an eye on diapers. What goes in must come out right!!
    Last edited by @llli*marilyn612; January 2nd, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
    Mother to the wonderful Teya - born June 21, 2010

Wife to Pat Sept 13, 2008

We are and at school

I didn't get good pump output until I skipped a feeding and pumped instead. Also adjust the controls until it feels like your LO nursing then look at him and try to imagine you are nursing not pumping. I recorded my LO nursing and some if him crying before nursing so I cud play the sounds while pumping at work. It may sound silly but it really helps. It takes a little time for your body to get used to this whole new process of nursing and pumping but it will happen. Save those little bits of milk here and there so you have a little in the freezer but most importantly enjoy your time home withthe baby. Those 4 mths will fly by.
    Michelle

Wife to Donnie , my best friend
    Mom to Trenton 1/9/97, Dillan 11/22/01, Ashton 6/19/09

All boys, weaned at 15 months, at home with Ashton

It looks like you have a lot of good advice here--Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*mamaplainandtall; January 5th, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy

called medela today. they will send the "spare parts" for me to try. Cust rep said they would send the entire new package if that doesn't work. should i ask for a pump in style instead?