Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: At 9 weeks..

Default At 9 weeks..

My baby is 9 weeks today!!! They grow up soooo fast...
    He is still nursing every 2 hours all day and night. It's exhausting me. Should it be up to me to help him increase the time between feedings? Will it come naturally for him as he matures? Are 3 or 4 hour feedings ever in my future (fondly thinking)?
    My peditrician suggested introducing white grape juice (watered down) which shocked me. I am not going to do this but has anyone else ever heard of doing this when your baby is still so little?

Default Re: At 9 weeks..

I have not personally heard of giving juice so early? My DD (7 months) still nurses every couple of hours, however her night feedings were 3 times than down to twice around 4-5 months old. So basically she got up every 2-3 hours and sometimes she had 4 hour stretches, and very few 5 hour stretches

I believe his schedule will become natural for him. You could also try breast compression so he gets more during his feedings, it might help for night time, and perhaps co-sleeping might be easier, and relaxing for you when feeding? However you may be stuck with 2 hour feedings throughout the day for a while.. but all babies are different

Congratulations on the 9 week mark.. how exciting it all is, and yes they grow toooo fast!

Ah, I am not alone! My baby is just over 9 weeks, too, and she still feeds ALL the time, it seems. She wakes me at least 3 or 4 times a night. We just sleep in the recliner so I don't have to move to feed her again. (She's not keen on my bed, just my lap, lol) And during the day she easily eats every 2 hours or less. It might be somewhat my fault, I let her "nip and nap". She kinda uses me as a 24 hour snack bar with naps inbetween. But I figure as long as I am not working and we can bond like that, then ok. I have heard that it will feel like we are constantly feeding until she starts solids. Some babies are just like that. Luckily I don't give a damn about housework and I've perfected sleeping sitting up and I'm not tired out yet. Now when I go back to work in 2 weeks... hhhmmm....
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Luckily I don't give a damn about housework
    Glad to hear another Mum say that. We're not all perfect.

What is breast compression feeding?

Yes! I am not alone. My LO is 9 weeks old, and we still nurse every 2 hours, sometimes if I am lucky she will go 2.5-3 hours. She still wakes every 3 hours at least at night. But, we cosleep so it is not too hard for me.

I was there at 9 weeks, my baby is 5 m/o now and from my personal experience and from others I have talked to, it gets so much better after 3 months. My baby goes to bed at 8pm now and get up for feeding at 6am! So hang on, it gets easier!!!