Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So disappointed!!!!!

Unhappy So disappointed!!!!!

So I have been working very hard, pumping and storing my BM and have built quite a nice stash... I found out my deep chest freezer wasnt properly working so I went to buy another one. The milk towards the top was perfect and frozen, as I started to take bags out to place into the new freezer, all my lower level milk was defrosted!!!!!!!!!!! I am so upset, disappointed, depressed, all of the above! I worked so hard for this and now this?! Makes me just want to give up!

So I guess here is my question, a few milks were completely defrosted so I tried to use them to feed my LO but they smelled sour so I tossed the completely defrosted ones. But a lot of them were still in a slushy state, I placed them back in the freezer, but has anyone placed their milk back in the freezer when its been in a slushy state? If so, please please please tell me it was ok and not sour?!!!

Im not talking about a few bags of milk here, Im talking about 800+oz of BM. Im really hoping these slushy type ones didnt turn bad. Im going to let them re-freeze and try to use some in a week and see how they are. I just wanted to know if anyone has gone through anything similar and if it has turned out good?

Thanks.
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Default Re: So disappointed!!!!!

Oh no! I've cried over a spilled bottle of breastmilk, so I can only imagine how gross it would feel to throw out a huge amount.

You're not going to like this, but the recommendation is NOT to refreeze defrosted milk. Sorry, there it is.

I don't want to minimize your loss in any way, but why do you need so much milk stored up? I ended up donating most of my stash to a friend who had "insufficient glandular tissue" and I only kept about two or three days worth at most in my freezer, always pumping enough one day to use the next day, and only dipping into the stash for emergencies - like, I spilled a fresh bottle!

You don't need a giant stash to breastfeed!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well, its not completely defrosted, like its not in a liquid state at all... its slushy. What was liquid, I threw it out!

I dont need a giant stash but I was planning to stop pumping once my LO turned 6 months, and have enough milk to provide for him till he turned 1 or later. I HATE pumping....

Plus a friend of mine had to have an emergency c-sec as her placenta wasnt doing the work feeding the baby properly at 30 weeks and hes in the NICU and I was telling her I would donate a lot of my stashed milk.... Now there is not much!
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Plus, my LO wont latch no matter what I do all he does is cry at the breast for the past 2 weeks... I wish I could just breastfeed him and pump less but to me more important is that he gets the milk whether its from my boob or the bottle. Its very hard for me to get constantly rejected by him when I try to feed him, it only makes me sad and frustrated.
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    and

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I hope the slushy milk ends up being able to be used.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I hope the slushy milk ends up being able to be used.
    Yes, try giving it the sniff test. Bad milk ... smells bad, yk? If it smells fresh, it's fine. I am really sorry, I didn't realize you were an EP'er, that does make it harder.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

Awwwww. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I had the same thing happen to me when the boys came home from the hospital and I wound up losing it all.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

If the milk is slushy, then it is at it's freezing point, and therefore still @ a safe temp for re-freezing. I would definitely do a taste test. The completely thawed milk I would definitely chunk, which it sounds like you've already done.

I totally hear you on the psychological need to build up a freezer stash. I probably had that much saved up at one point. Working full-time, I was always TERRIFIED of something happening to disrupt my supply that was out of my control; pumping and storing, that I could control. Of course, I got pregnant when he was 8 mos old, my supply plummeted, and I blew through that stash pretty quickly, so I was glad to have it Of course, I guess that wasn't TECHNICALLY something I couldn't control
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Im glad to hear Im not the only one that worries about some crazy catastrophe that will disrupt my milk supply! But yes, I dumped the completely thawed one (even thought it was cold so I tried to use it to see if maybe it would work as if I had put it in the fridge to thaw but it didnt smell horrible but didnt smell normal so I painfully tossed out about 25 bags of 4-5 oz each ) but I am really hoping the one that was slushy is ok, if not, thats a big bulk! But oh well, what can I do now? Nothing but hope its ok, and if its not, I better start pumping away again... my plans of cutting my pumping early are shot for now....
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    and