Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: throbbing breasts

Default throbbing breasts

My breasts throb about an hour after breastfeeding or pumping. They are short sharp pains coursing through both breasts. It happens almost every time. Is this normal? Is this a sign that they are filling back up?

Default Re: throbbing breasts

it could be thrush...

the LLL link above states the following:
    Persistent nipple pain in the early weeks of breastfeeding, or nipple pain that appears after several weeks or months of pain-free nursing, may be caused by thrush which is a yeast infection of the nipples. Additional symptoms can include

Itchy or burning nipples that appear pink or red, shiny, flaky, and/or have a rash with tiny blisters.
    Cracked nipples.
    Shooting pains in the breast during or after feedings.
    Intense nipple or breast pain that is not improved with better latch-on and positioning.
    Deep breast pain.

you might want to get checked. do you notice any white stuff on baby's tongue or on the inside of her/his mouth?
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

She does not have any white residue in her mouth at all. She does use a nipple shield. Does that make a difference? The shooting pain is the only symptom I have. The actual nipples are not sore, but they look a little cracked.

Talking Re: throbbing breasts

I would recommend that you see your doctor also. I have 3 and never had thrush before the last one. I had no idea and by the time I figured out what the pains were it took 2 rounds of meds to clear it up. No fun nursing, or doing anything else when they are hurting.

Sounds like thrush. You can have it in your ducts but not visible on your nipples or in your LOs mouth. I had it and the shooting pains were AWFUL. See your doc for some medicine.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006