Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you know...other breast & low supply

Default How do you know...other breast & low supply

Hello I have a three week old and breastfeeding is becoming more and more 'natural' after some OALD issues. I've been block feeding, offering one breast per feed, since the beginning. Now it seems that after 10-15 minutes, DD is not necessarily full, but won't take the same breast.

How do I know when/if it's ok to offer the second?
    And could I have low supply? How would one know she has low supply?
    Oh, and one more
    I have been feeding at 11p and 2a ish, but I usually get DD up for the 2am one because I'm scared it will affect my supply/cause enforcement etc. Can I let her sleep? We have the green light from the doc too, but I'm scared! Could I maybe pump at that time instead? Assuming she would sleep. This is all hypothetical

Default Re: How do you know...other breast & low supply

How do I know when/if it's ok to offer the second?
    It's tricky. You have to go by feel. If the baby eats from the 1st breast but still seems hungry after, you offer the 2nd breast. Sometimes that means messing up your blocks when you're block feeding, but that's okay. You're not aiming for 100% perfect timing w/ block feeding, just looking to get it generally on target.

And could I have low supply? How would one know she has low supply?
    Diaper output is the best measure of supply. If baby has adequate wet and poopy diapers, your supply is fine. Other signs of adequate supply:
    - Baby's poops are generally yellow and curd-y
    - Baby seems satisfied after feeding
    - Baby is gaining adequate weight

I have been feeding at 11p and 2a ish, but I usually get DD up for the 2am one because I'm scared it will affect my supply/cause enforcement etc. Can I let her sleep? We have the green light from the doc too, but I'm scared! Could I maybe pump at that time instead? Assuming she would sleep. This is all hypothetical
    A lot of mamas would disagree on this one. Some will say that a 3 week-old should never sleep more than 3-4 hours at a stretch. I personally feel that a 3 week-old can be allowed to sleep longer if:
    - nursing is going well
    - diaper output is good
    - weight gain is normal
    - the baby wants to sleep longer (i.e. you should never try to get such a young baby to sleep longer than they naturally want to)

If you decide to let her sleep, you can pump at 2 a.m.. However:
    - it will perpetuate the supply you currently have- which is not necessarily desirable if you have oversupply
    - if you don't do it, and your baby suddenly starts needing more nighttime feedings, she'll be able to boost your supply back up in a short amount of time as long as you nurse her on demand
    - 3 weeks is still early to introduce a bottle, so if you're planning on using that pumped milk to replace a feeding, I would wait another week or so at least.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! Do some babies only nurse one breast indefinitely? I guess I should just offer the second after the first is...floppy? DD knows what's she's doing, at least one of us does

I suppose I wont worry about low supply. Baby gained like a champ at her two week checkup and has yellow, curdy stools. Usually one substantial one and several...skidmarks.

And....I will let the 2am feeding stay for now. Or move it to a four hour space and see how it goes. But mostly it's up to her. I worked midnights for three years prior to this (and will return in a bit!) so sleeping 11-2 is great
    I don't think I have an OS issue anymore; my breasts do not feel engorged between feedings, fuller maybe but not engorged like one was. But I'll have to start pumping next week (at 4 weeks) for work, so that'll be interesting!

I started block feeding at about 2-3 weeks d/t oversupply, after reading some great advice on these boards actually We never went back to both boobs until I got preg and my supply plummeted.

I started pumping for work at 4 or 5 weeks, when I wasn't going back until 11 weeks. I pumped several times a day, to build up a stash, before realizing that you don't really have to have a stash. When you go back to work, you'll pump enough in one day for the next day. It also worsened my oversupply until I figured all this out.

My advice would be to pump only one extra time per day, for a few weeks leading up to your return. This will give you time to get "practiced" at th pump, which is all you need anyway. I pumped after one of his morning feeds, both b/c my supply was best then and he took his best nap at those times
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I'm still confused about the second breast business. I'm very type A and realize maybe there isn't a hard and fast rule or checklist (both of which I live by) but...I'm baffled by the whole thing and I want to make sure she's getting hindmilk and not switching just to switch.