Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: do cracks EVER heal???

Default do cracks EVER heal???

my son is 5weeks old now. my left booby still hurts so bad while nursing. i feel confident that he is latching properly (we've tried all different positions too). the right one is totally fine, with no pain what so ever. the left one has a crack that will not heal. i do struggle with overactive letdown on that side - could that be why?? when will my booby start to heal?? help!!
    oh, btw, i have the APNO also, and it seems to help with the pain (i think because of the steroid??) but i kinda feel guilty that my LO is ingesting that stuff. help!!!

Default Re: do cracks EVER heal???

Yes, they do heal. But they can be persistent and painful! Ouch! If your baby's latch isn't good, or if you have persistent thrush, it will take a lot longer to heal, though, so make sure those aren't an issue.

Use that APNO! It's safe for the baby, and you need to heal your nipple! You're doing your baby no favors by refusing to treat your painful breast, you know? Try treating it diligently for a day or two, after EVERY FEEDING (it will be mostly absorbed by the time you latch your little one back on), as well as giving your breasts lots of air time, and I bet you will be feeling better, if not 100% healed.

In the end, remember: it's way more important that your baby get that full year (or more!) of breastmilk, than that you protect them from a tiny bit of (safe!) ointment, yk?
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; December 28th, 2010 at 11:28 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with pp! use the apno diligently. it helped heal the persistent cracks in my nipples and bf became a real joy after that. hang in there, mama!

They do heal, but how fast it's going to happen depends on what's causing the cracks. Cracks from thrush or a bacterial infection may heal only when the thrush/bacteria have been eliminated. Cracks from a bad latch will heal when the latch is fixed- which occasionally means waiting for the baby to grow big enough to latch on right every time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tried a few creams and the one that worked the best for me and helped heal me super duper quick was the Medela brand one. My LO never noticed the taste while BF.

Also when youre in the shower, try cuping cool water around the nipple with your hand. It just helps the pain a little

thanks for the input. i've been using the APNO for 2 weeks now. there were a couple of times i didn't put it on after a feeding, but otherwise, i've been pretty good about it. i switched back to the football hold today, and that seems to help the pain a bit. i tried laying down nursing and that made it worse. i don't have thrush, but my DS was tongue tied at birth and didn't get fixed until he was 2 weeks. so my nipple is just destroyed! the cracks close up in between feedings if there isn't any cream on but open up even when i pump. i just don't see them healing if he is eating or i am pumping. i can get through this if i know that they will eventually heal - but to think that they will be like this for a year - i don't think i could do it!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momofjbandl View Post
    i can get through this if i know that they will eventually heal - but to think that they will be like this for a year - i don't think i could do it!!
    I had a similar situation. I thought my cracks would be open for the entire year I was planning to breastfeed, because they would close up between feedings and then tear open every time I nursed or pumped. It was scary- I mean, the idea of having a deep wound for an entire year???! But just around 5 months, when I was resigned to having them for a whole year, the cracks healed without even leaving a scar.

One thing that I am convinced really helped me was humidity. I had been living in a very dry house since DD1 was born- we switched from using the forced air heat to cranking the AC very quickly that year since it got hot early and my DH doesn't like the heat. But then I went to visit my parents, and they don't have AC. It was July and so muggy- those still, oppressive New England days! But that's when my cracks healed.

Hang in there, Mama! If I could do it, you can do it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"