Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How and when did you introduce solids to your LO

Default How and when did you introduce solids to your LO

So i'm a first time mother to my 5 mo DS. He's been eyeing some of our food and my DH caught up a little chunk of avocado, put it on small plate and tried to give it to DS. He did grab the plate and put on his mouth (probably bc he was interesting and he's teething) but not the actual avocado chunk. Im going to wait another week to see if he'll eventually put the avocado chunk in his mouth. Am i starting too early? I've heard one should wait till they're 6 mo old but he does seem really interested. (Dont forget to share your story).
    20 months usually 5 times a day ---------- Enjoy
    Wife to my DH, Ryan
    First time mom to DS born at home on 7/25/10

Default Re: How and when did you introduce solids to your LO

With my DD#1 I started when she was 4 months, because I didn't know any better. That;'s what I was told to do by WIC, which I had at the time. With my other 2, I started when they were about 6 months. I actually started Will when he was about 5 3/4 months because that's when I was on Spring Break and I wanted to be home with him when I started him, instead of them starting him at DC. I started all of mine on rice cereal mixed with EBM. This is why I did this: rice is the least likely of grains to cause an allergic reaction; it is fortified with iron, which the baby needs at this point; and its texture can be varied to fit his mouth skills. Some babies do better with very thin, others do better with thicker. If you choose a cereal that is also fortified with vitamin C, the iron will be better absorbed. Cereal mixed with water or juice is low in protein, and too much low protein food can dilute the protein in the baby's diet. Some people suggest meat as a first food on the grounds that the iron in meat is more well absorbed than the iron in baby cereal, and this is why I do not agree with that: iron in vitamin C fortified cereal is reasonably well absorbed; cereal mixed with EBM gives a good proportion of protein. fat, and carbohydrate; it makes more developmental sense to start with cereal, and cereal is handy to keep around while the baby does not eat very much at the beginning while they are learning to eat solid foods.

Some other foods that people start with, like yogurt, are fine developmentally but aren't as nutritionally helpful. They are low in iron and give more of the same milk nutrients the baby has been getting all along. Vegetables and fruits have most of their calories as carbohydrate and can push the carbohydrate in the diet up too high. While they give a little iron, it really isn't enough. Depending on how they are grown, some vegetables may contain too much nitrate, also.

That is my treatise on why I started with cereal. Many people on here object to cereal for philosophical reasons, and that is fine, I understand their point of view, but this is why I did what I did.

We skipped rice cereal altogether. This is why I did this: Rice cereal is not on the LLL list of first foods, it have no real nutritional value except the iron they fortify with and since it isn't there naturally it's not as absorbable as iron you find in whole fruits and Veggies. And because I didn't want my childs first food or ANY food that he had in the first year of his life to be processed in any way. Since he was only eating solids for practice an exploration, and breastmilk is so prefect, it didn't want him to have anything else that wasn't whole real food.

I encourage you to wait. The truth is that even a 6 months they aren't really ready. But that is the point to BEGIN. If they are able to sit unassisted, and have their full pincer grasp. And 6 months is when the gut is mature enough to have something OTHER than breastmilk in it. Any interest your child is showing in food, isn't in FOOD. It's in whatever you are doing. They do NOT associate food with hunger or eating. They don't. They don't miss what they have never had. They think food comes from YOU. And honestly even if they are participating in ritual of meals from 6 months on they don't associate any of it with hunger until well after the year point. My son didn't start actually swallowing food until somewhere between 8 and 9months and it was between 9&10 months that you could see he realized he was "tasting" with his tongue.
    Children that are 5months old are simply interested in WHATEVER you are doing. And MOST of that get's mouthed as part of their exploration. They will reach for keys and try to stick those in their mouth, they are not ready to drive. They will reach for a shiny soda can and lick the side of it, they aren't ready for soda. The food thing people project. Babies are watching you and want to do and be a part of what you are doing. But they aren't sitting at the table thinking "Man. I wish I could get a bite of that. I am SOOO hungry. How mean they don't share!" If your baby is hungry he roots and you feed him.
    The first two foods we tried were banana and Avacado with no real success. Each time we put it a away for another week. Since he obviously wasn't ready. The first time he actually put food in his mouth and then put it BACK in his own mouth to suck on it was watermelon. He was almost 7 months old by that point.

Way too lazy for formula

I waited until my LO met developmental signs that they were ready for solids:

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    • Baby can sit up well without support.
    • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    Both I did "baby led solids". OFFERED appropriate foods that baby could self feed. Baby decides what and how much to eat. See my siggie for links to info about BLS.Both LO I started OFFERING solids after 6 mo.

DS1 was interested but didn't really EAT until about 8.5 mo.

DS2 was interested and LOVED to eat from the beginning.

Rice cereal and other baby cereals don't have much nutritious value - skipped them. If you're concerned about iron, you can offer foods that are high in iron.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I waited until my LO met developmental signs that they were ready for solids:

Both I did "baby led solids". OFFERED appropriate foods that baby could self feed. Baby decides what and how much to eat. See my siggie for links to info about BLS.Both LO I started OFFERING solids after 6 mo.

DS1 was interested but didn't really EAT until about 8.5 mo.

DS2 was interested and LOVED to eat from the beginning.

Rice cereal and other baby cereals don't have much nutritious value - skipped them. If you're concerned about iron, you can offer foods that are high in iron.
    Your second child was chewing and swallowing food from the very beginning?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Your second child was chewing and swallowing food from the very beginning?
    Yeah - baby #2 only took a couple weeks max to figure out the solids thing. Started with foods like sweet potato and other soft foods. We followed his lead and he was eating 3 meals a day PLUS the same amount of nursing and EBM at day care by the time he was 9 mo old. I had been holding back on solids based on our experience with #1 .... but started offering more often because that's what he seemed to want.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I started ds1 on solids at 4 months. I did this because I had serious issues with breastfeeding and the advice I was given from a LC was that between 4-6 months, it would be preferable to introduce a small amount of solids as opposed to supplimenting with formula. I belive that advice came from Jack Newmans website. I would have to go looking to find the link. We started with rice cereal because clearly thats what all babys need to have as a first food. We did purees until about 6 months and then did a combo of finger foods and purees.
    DS2 was started on solids at about 4.5 months. He had met every single developmental milestone from that link that Lynn posted above. We gave him bannanna cut into chunks on his tray and he picked them up and ate them. He has had maybe 2 bowls of brown rice cereal in his life. He wasn't keen on it and neither was I from the information the ladies on this forum have provided about it. We have done about 95% BLS with him with only a few purees tossed in.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!