Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three weeks in and more than slightly discouraged

Default Re: Three weeks in and more than slightly discouraged

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Also, please do not give water to your baby! It doesn't take much water to throw off a baby's electrolyte balance and cause water intoxication (a.k.a. hyponatremia), which can make your baby extremely sick and can even be fatal. If you must give something that is not breastmilk, please use formula or pedialyte.
    I don't understand this....my mother advises me that when I was an infant, she gave me full bottles of water all the time. My husband's mother says the same. I recall my sister, who is now in her 20's, being given bottles of water all the time. What has happened in the past 40 years that causes this same thing to be fatal in infants? By the way, though our doctor told us at baby's first appointment that he couldn't have water at that age, she has since advised me that, at 9 week olds, he can now have up to 1 oz. of water per day.

To the OP...your baby is still only 3 weeks. Mine is now 9 weeks and when he was the age of your baby, I struggled with the fact that it seemed that every waking hour that my baby was awake, he was nursing. Then I read somewhere that your baby, at that age, only has two stages...when he's sleeping and when he's hungry...he/she only wakes when he/she's hungry and needs to eat. Don't be discouraged. Even though I face challenges still to this day..I have overcome so many struggles already in just the past 6 weeks. It will get better but it's very emotional and very emotionally exhausting. But I know all the hardship will be worth it in the long run.

I think it's one of those things - my mom fed me cow's milk from four months on, and I survived unscathed, but it can cause serious problems, so I wouldn't mess with it.

This site is pretty scary - only a couple of ounces of water a day can cause seizures for some babies.

It looks like the cause of these siezures wasn't really known about until more recently. Better safe than sorry, I would say. Just use formula, if you must supplement. Of course, this only applies to newborns, not older babies.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

There's no reason to give your baby water. Breastmilk is all the fluids they need. If you give them extra water they're filling up (and probably nursing less) but not getting any calories or nutrients. Breastmilk meets all their needs for the first 6 months or so.

To the OP, I agree that your baby's diaper output sounds great. She may be spending a lot of time nursing, but she is getting milk. It doesn't sound like supplementing is necessary, and it may not be a good idea (if she gets supplements and spends less time nursing, that will cause your supply to decrease).

I also encourage you to meet with an IBCLC. It can't hurt to doublecheck that your baby is transferring enough milk and that she's gaining weight appropriately. And hopefully it will put your mind at ease!
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    I also encourage you to meet with an IBCLC. It can't hurt to doublecheck that your baby is transferring enough milk and that she's gaining weight appropriately. And hopefully it will put your mind at ease!
    With my first, I saw adequate diaper output, green poops, and no weight gain. It turned out that her latch was so poor that she could (and did) nurse constantly without transferring enough milk to really grow. All she could do was tread water. The IBCLC helped me get it sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    I don't understand this....my mother advises me that when I was an infant, she gave me full bottles of water all the time. My husband's mother says the same. I recall my sister, who is now in her 20's, being given bottles of water all the time. What has happened in the past 40 years that causes this same thing to be fatal in infants?
    Were you guys breastfed babies? Two things that have changed in the past 40 years is that more babies are being breastfed and formula compositions have changed to be more breastmilk-like. My understanding is that formula used to be thicker, so a bottle of water in between formula bottles helped to even things out in terms of the baby's electrolyte balance. But breastmilk and the newer formulas are closer to perfect in terms of electrolyte balance, so a bottle of pure water is much more likely to tip things over into the danger zone.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    With my first, I saw adequate diaper output, green poops, and no weight gain. It turned out that her latch was so poor that she could (and did) nurse constantly without transferring enough milk to really grow. All she could do was tread water. The IBCLC helped me get it sorted!

Were you guys breastfed babies? Two things that have changed in the past 40 years is that more babies are being breastfed and formula compositions have changed to be more breastmilk-like. My understanding is that formula used to be thicker, so a bottle of water in between formula bottles helped to even things out in terms of the baby's electrolyte balance. But breastmilk and the newer formulas are closer to perfect in terms of electrolyte balance, so a bottle of pure water is much more likely to tip things over into the danger zone.
    Well that explains it....I was a formula baby. I'm the first person in my family in recent generations to breastfeed their child. However, my husband was breastfed in the 70s and received water in his bottle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*desertchildaz View Post
    However, my husband was breastfed in the 70s and received water in his bottle as well.
    This is probably one where the advice has changed so that we're erring on the side of safety. I mean, back in the day we all rode bikes without helmets and cars had no seatbelts, right? We all survived, but it was just as dangerous back then as it is now. Babies given water will probably do fine- you have to give a significant amount before you cause damage. But it's not something where you want to take a chance, especially w/ a newborn. The smaller the person, the less water it takes to screw things up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"