Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three weeks in and more than slightly discouraged

Default Three weeks in and more than slightly discouraged

I'm a first time mom and to say we're having difficulties would be an understatement. Just 3 days after my daughter was born she had lost 17% of her birth weight and was hospitalized with severe dehydration because my milk had not come in. Ever since then I have been on edge, worried that it or something like it will happen again. I have no idea if i'm producing enough or any at all. I never feel a difference between full and empty and I don't feel when my milk lets down. I've tried pumping to help establish my supply but that's just discouraging because I pump for 15 minutes and all I get is less than half an ounce. She seems to be starving all the time. We nurse for hours on end. She'll nurse for an hour on each side and when I pull her away because I feel like my breasts are going to fall off, she screams and screams until I give in. There's never a time when she's awake and not nursing. At night, she'll nurse and fall asleep and come off and when i try to move her she wakes up and wants to nurse more. I've tried nursing lying down but i can't get the hang of laying on my side and nursing. I can get her to latch on when she's stretched across my stomach or in the football hold but if i turn the lights off she comes off and refusing to nurse until i turn them back on, all the while screaming bloody murder. Every morning at 5 on the dot she cries and cries and won't latch on or calm down unless I get out of bed and nurse her in the rocking chair. I've tried everything, swaddling, changing her, burping her, the colic hold, walking the floor, a binky...nothing works! I've tried telling her no after she's been nursing for hours but it breaks my heart when she cries. I'm not even sure if she's comfort nursing because when I pull her off and give her warm water she still gulps it down. I have to go back to work in 7 weeks and I'm worried that I won't ever get any rest. How can I teach her to nurse faster? How can I be sure she's getting enough to eat?

Default Re: Three weeks in and more than slightly discouraged

Has she regained her birthweight? Is she having wet and poopy diapers? Have you supplemented? Are you bedsharing and/or cosleeping? How much does she sleep?

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. I'm also sorry for all the questions, but hopefully we can find a solution and/or get you some answers.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Three weeks in is still really early, and most issues can be fixed! Hang in there! Seven weeks from now, when you return to work, things are going to be really, really different - whole different baby.

I agree, I know it's a pain, but can you post your baby's stats?

Do you have access to an IBCLC? Some hands on help can be a lifesaver for a variety of problems. An LC would be able to tell you whether you are making enough milk, by weighing your baby before and after a feeding. Not all moms leak, feel let downs, or feel "full." But it's impossible to tell whether it's normal without looking at those weight stats, yk?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Excellent questions from the PP. Especially the one about diaper output. If you can answer those, we may know better how to advise you.

Also, please do not give water to your baby! It doesn't take much water to throw off a baby's electrolyte balance and cause water intoxication (a.k.a. hyponatremia), which can make your baby extremely sick and can even be fatal. If you must give something that is not breastmilk, please use formula or pedialyte.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm so sorry you're having a difficult time - I've been there (and still getting through it...) and it's definitely no parade.

I agree with the previous posts - it undoubtedly will get easier. 3 weeks for us was the absolute hardest. I would sob through and in between feedings and LO would only sleep for 30-45 minutes at a time, nursing constantly in between. He is 8 weeks now and able to sleep longer, therefore giving me a longer break in between nursing sessions.

Also agree that you should try to find an IBCLC - it would be really helpful for them to assess the situation and determine if your LO is getting enough...and also - they provide amazing emotional support when you need it the most. I called mine bawling one day - and she totally gave me the motivation and strength to keep on going just another day...which turned into another week, etc.

You're doing a great job - giving your LO what she needs right now, which is YOU. Hang in there and stay strong mama.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*moose View Post
    Has she regained her birthweight? Is she having wet and poopy diapers? Have you supplemented? Are you bedsharing and/or cosleeping? How much does she sleep?
    She was 6.14 when she was born, she dropped to 5.11 but after 14 hours of IV fluids she was back up to 6.4. at her 2 week checkup she was only 6.5. she has 6-10 very full wet diapers in a day and 1 or 2 poopy diapers depending on the day. we supplemented with formula in the hospital but it gave her a terrible stomach ache. she sleeps on my chest or tummy at night, i don't like putting her down if i don't have to. she sleeps for maybe 45 minutes at a time at night and sometimes 2 or 3 hours at a time during the day

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I agree, I know it's a pain, but can you post your baby's stats? Do you have access to an IBCLC? Some hands on help can be a lifesaver for a variety of problems. An LC would be able to tell you whether you are making enough milk, by weighing your baby before and after a feeding. Not all moms leak, feel let downs, or feel "full." But it's impossible to tell whether it's normal without looking at those weight stats, yk?
    she's 6.5 and 20.5 inches long. There is a team of LC's at the hospital that i gave birth at. i talked to several of them, they even checked up at 1 week. but they never answer my questions, they try to fix her latch or the way i hold her, which isn't what i need help with. i will go and talk to them, ask about weighing her before and after

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Also, please do not give water to your baby! It doesn't take much water to throw off a baby's electrolyte balance and cause water intoxication (a.k.a. hyponatremia), which can make your baby extremely sick and can even be fatal. If you must give something that is not breastmilk, please use formula or pedialyte.
    i had no idea that water could be so bad! thank you, my mom and i just assumed everyone needs water. i hate to give her formula because how sick it made her tummy in the hospital. my mom looked up some homemade formula recipes, one involving brown rice and goats milk, are there any of those that you know of that are ok? or a formula that would be milder on her tummy? we used enfamil gentlease for gas and fussiness but all it did was make her more gassy and more fussy

Thank you everyone, so much! you have no idea how much better i feel already!

That is plenty of wet and poopy diapers. It also does not sound like you need to supplement with anything, at this point. Some babies need to suck more than others.

If the LCs at the hospital are trying to correct positioning or latch it's possible a better latch would make your baby more efficient. It's also possible you might find a LLL leader close to you very comforting--she will have NGO on meetings and miag know other mothers who 've had the same situation.

If you need to supplement with formula, please use the commerciala varieties available, and consult your physician about the tummY problems. But it really sounds like nursing a lot is the solution.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

my sister is an LLL leader in training and has been very helpful. she has also given me the numbers of several leaders in the area and i'm going to my first meeting next thursday. she suggested i get on the forums for further support. i'm afraid to call her doctor because, as good as her intentions are, the minute i suggest we're having problems with nursing she jumps right to bottle feeding. thanks again

Your baby's diaper output looks great. I won't see a need to supplement anymore at this point.

I also want t encourage yo to cosleep safely with your baby if you want to.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t070600.asp

Many of us do it and it help increase and maintain supply
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

If you want to increase your milk supply, try eating oatmeal. There is a mexican wives tale that this drink called Atole, made from maze, helps bring in your milk. I wasnt producing anything for 3 days, then my sister made the drink for me and I cant stop the milk now lol. You can also try Malt o meal or Cream of Wheat to bring it in.

If youd like to try the drink I would be more than happy to tell you how to make it