Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not really sure what im doing here....

Default not really sure what im doing here....

Well I might as well just dive in to it.....

I have 4 week old daughter who nurses awesome (now, we had quite a few challenges already from cracked nipples to mastitis) during the day! every 2-3 hours then @ night all she wants to do is snack all night.. nursing only one side for 15min every hour... it's getting frustrating especially being by myself (my husband works out of town and is only home 4 days a month) I'm so wanting to nap but wanting to clean the duvet she puked on, wanting to make something eat but feeling guilty that the dog hasnt been properly ran lately. Not sure what to do, does this overwhelming feeling of all my days blurring into one long nursing ever fade??

Default Re: not really sure what im doing here....

You are still in the trenches! The first few weeks are hard. Kudos to you for sticking with it with no DH to support you most of the time. Just know that it will get better and won't always consume your life like it is right now! Pretty soon you will start to recover more and get your strength back and the world will seem much brighter. New LO's nurse a lot in the first few weeks to establish supply, and they also have many growth spurts. Have you looked into purchasing a sling? With practice you can easily BF in them and have some mobility. Until you master it, you can definitely have more opportunities to throw a load of laundry in or take your dog out. I strap baby in and take my dogs walking on a daily basis just about. Hang in there, it will get better. In the meantime, come around and ask all you need to- there is a lot of support here. I wish I would have found it sooner in the early weeks.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I am still in the same boat and my son is almost 4 months old! To be truthful though, some days are better than others. I start out with a mental list of things I would like to get done (do laundry), and then a list of things that I need to get done (eat). Sometimes I am able to do more than I thought, and some days DS and I just cuddle in bed all day!
    I notice that if I just get up the motivation to start early, I can get more done…but some things are just going to have to wait.

Don't really think I have helped, but know that your not alone

My baby is now 3 1/2 months old. This is my first baby and I never even imagined how difficult things were going to be. At first, I felt like a milk wagon - all I did was bf. I almost felt suffocated. However, things have gradually gotten better. I don't know when, but I think that I am slowly learning to adapt to my baby and he is getting used to me. I think that talking with people has helped. Hang in there, it will get better!!

Hello and welcome to the forum! I can only echo the previous posts. You are still in the beginning stages where all you do is nurse. All I can say is it does get better. I'm not sure if it's because you get used to it, or it actually does get easier ! If it helps, I would set small goals for myself in the beginning. I would say that I was going to do one non-baby thing a day. So one day I may empty the dishwasher or take a shower and the next day I would cook a meal that could last a few days or fold laundry. Don't be so hard on yourself if you can't get a lot done. It's hard in the early days even when you have help. Cheers to you for nursing even when it seems endless! Your baby has a great mom!

My DS is 15 wks and is also my first baby. I too did not have any clue as to what life with a new baby was going to be like. There are many days that my mental list never compares to the things that really do get done. Some days I am able to get a few things accomplished, but they are far and few between. And there are days that I feel guilty because I didn't get anything done. In the beginning, I was lucky to have showered every day! And eat...hah, forget that. I chose between sleep and breakfast and sleep won out. You eat on the fly, but your food choices are not that great. I would have preferred to eat fruits and veggies and more healthy things, but they usually weren't washed and cut up and ready to grab. My Mom was a tremendous help when it came to dinners. I cannot count how many times she cooked dinners and brought them over for us. And she also cooked foods for us to put in the freezer for another day. If you ever get a chance, make a large pot of soup (something simple) and let it cook while you take care of the baby. Then when it cools, freeze it in smaller portions and you'll have a quick lunch/dinner. It's hard to find the time to do that, but if you can, it really does help.
    It will get better and easier. I didn't think it was possible, but it really does. Just give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by LindusandGrace View Post
    Well I might as well just dive in to it.....

I have 4 week old daughter who nurses awesome (now, we had quite a few challenges already from cracked nipples to mastitis) during the day! every 2-3 hours then @ night all she wants to do is snack all night.. nursing only one side for 15min every hour... it's getting frustrating especially being by myself (my husband works out of town and is only home 4 days a month) I'm so wanting to nap but wanting to clean the duvet she puked on, wanting to make something eat but feeling guilty that the dog hasnt been properly ran lately. Not sure what to do, does this overwhelming feeling of all my days blurring into one long nursing ever fade??
    HI! Of all the things you stated here , let these be your priority: NAP!! Sleep when the baby sleeps and NEVER FEEL BAD ABOUT IT! Getting enough sleep (which is 6-8hr in a 24 hr period in any increments you can find it) is CRUCIAL. As is making sure you have enough to eat. Other than that let it go. Set up an Island on the couch, Nursing pillow, remotes. phones, stuff to drink and snack on and resign yourself to that spot. Let taking care your baby and your self be all you worry about for now. It's all you need to worry about right now. If your up for visitors, USE THEM! If they ask if they can bring anything say YES! A meal or casserole would be very helpful!!! If they want to hold the baby while you pee & take a shower GREAT!!! Otherwise they can help w/ the dishes. Seriously the only people you should be seeing at this point is people who care enough about you to help. So....have your DH run the dog for you. (right after he brings you some dinner. ) And baby puke...like pee it's no big deal EAT. SLEEP. NURSE. Change diapers and go pee. That's it. Isn't that enough work for now?? Stay focused. Two more weeks...things start to change. 3months from now you'll long for the day you can stay curled up on the couch in your night gown and just nurse your baby. Relish it. You blink your eyes and it's over. I swear.

Thanks so much everyone, I think i just needed to vent a little!! I will take the advice and just relax with LO!!