Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some drug info

Default Need some drug info

Can anyone out there find out if a drug called Protonix is safe for breastfeeding? My doc swears it's safe but it says right on the bottle from the pharmacy "do not take while breastfeeding". It is used for reflux.

TIA!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: Need some drug info

Thanks ladies. My pharmacist isn't that great, they just tell me the same thing that it says on the stupid stickers on the bottle. I asked him twice and he looked at the bottle both times and said "well it says not to take while breastfeeding"...he was like that with something else I had prescribed before too but I can't remember what it was right now. My doc looked it up in a book when I asked her about its affects on nursing and said it was okay. I guess I can take it and watch DD closely...it still scares me though.
    Amber

Thomas Hale's book, "Medications and Mothers' Milk" rates this medication as risk level L1, or "safest" which is as good as you can get. So don't sweat it and let yourself feel better!

Thanks for all of the info ladies! I started the drug yesterday and can already tell a difference!
    Amber