Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply Managed? ... Baby still fussy

Default Oversupply Managed? ... Baby still fussy

Hi, my dd is 12 weeks old. Around 4 weeks she started getting very fussy at the breast, crying, refusing to eat, and her bowel movements became very green, wet, and explosive. She's always gained weight well, and her pediatrician even commented that I must have "high-fat, magic milk". On my own, I determined that oversupply must be our problem. I did consider diet sensitivities at the recommendation of a LC, but this LC also didn't seem to think that oversupply was an issue, and even went so far to say that green stools in an otherwise happy baby are okay. I don't really agree, since green usually indicates diarrhea (I think), and my dd is not otherwise happy during feedings. It seemed like the same things most doctors say: "if baby is growing, no problem", disregarding the baby's unhappiness with feeding and the diarrhea.

So we've been block feeding for about 3 weeks. We've worked up to 6-hour blocks now, and it's really helped the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Dd now has quiet bowel movements, almost always mustard yellow and seedy, and less frequent (every 1-2 days, whereas a couple weeks ago they were still 3-4x per day). However, she still seems to be struggling with OALD. She still pulls off during let down (though not every time), and occasionally during subsequent letdowns in the same feeding. Most times when she pulls off during let down, it is spraying, though it sprays less extremely than when I wasn't block feeding. My breasts also still leak, but only during let down and not as much as they used to. On the rare occasion that she stays latched through the first let down (usually in the middle of the night when she's sleepy), I can hear her gulping it down and making clicking/sucking noises as though all the milk is making her lose suction.

I also know my supply is less because I used to pump about 4oz. in 5 minutes. Now I pump about 3oz. in 10 minutes. And I know I shouldn't be pumping, since this will only stimulate supply, but I am going back to work in less than a week. I pump on both sides once a day in the morning, on the cusp of the block, so one side gives more hindmilk and one gives more foremilk, and I mix it together. Also I only pump about 10 minutes. I'm only trying to build up enough milk for the first day or two of work, since when I get to work I will pump 3x/day.

Her fussiness during feedings has gotten a little better, but not enough. This morning was a little rough already. I pumped at 8am for about 10 minutes. Then at 8:30 she was awake and ready to eat, so I tried to feed her but she kept pulling off, latching herself back on, etc. I spent an hour trying to get her to stay latched, during which my milk let down 3 times. Each time, she pulled off and it was spraying. Finally around 9:30, after walking around and rocking her, she became sleepy enough to just stay latched and ate for about 20 minutes.

Sometimes she completely refuses the breast, just crying, and it takes all the patience I can muster to get through those feedings.

Another thing is, I thought that getting her more hindmilk would allow her to be more full between feedings. That seems to not be the case. Ever since she was born, her appetite has been insatiable and it still is. I can feed her for 20-30 minutes (and she really is swallowing most of the time), she'll fall asleep for a half hour, and wake up and want to eat again. Or she won't even fall asleep, instead wanting to just eat again. This happens even at the end of a block, when I know she really is mostly getting hindmilk. It's so bad, with the fussing and crying and wanting to eat constantly, that sometimes I hand her off to dad so he can distract her for an hour until I can handle another feeding.

So here are my questions:
    -Do I need to increase my block segments? It's working for foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but I'm still spraying, even during subsequent let downs in the same feeding. Do most moms spray a little, even if they don't have oversupply?
    -Is it possible that the OALD is operating independently of oversupply? (i.e., supply managed, OALD not managed?)
    -I read in one of the LLL articles that one baby whose mom had oversupply had a rumbly tummy. Does this mean something? Dd has had a rumbly tummy during feedings for weeks now. (still does)
    -If she's not satisfied to last even a half hour between feedings, does that mean she's still not getting enough hindmilk? Or is it possible that some 3-month old babies still want to nurse every hour? Is she just greedy?
    -Do I really need to look at diet sensitivities? This just seems so implausible, as her level of fussiness during feedings can range from none at all (in the middle of the night) to completely refusing to eat and crying (usually only in the evening)

Thanks in advance for all your advice... I know I asked a lot of questions!!

Default Re: Oversupply Managed? ... Baby still fussy

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ayas.mama View Post
    Most times when she pulls off during let down, it is spraying, though it sprays less extremely than when I wasn't block feeding.

Another thing is, I thought that getting her more hindmilk would allow her to be more full between feedings. That seems to not be the case. Ever since she was born, her appetite has been insatiable and it still is. I can feed her for 20-30 minutes (and she really is swallowing most of the time), she'll fall asleep for a half hour, and wake up and want to eat again. Or she won't even fall asleep, instead wanting to just eat again. This happens even at the end of a block, when I know she really is mostly getting hindmilk.

So here are my questions:
    -Do I need to increase my block segments? It's working for foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but I'm still spraying, even during subsequent let downs in the same feeding. Do most moms spray a little, even if they don't have oversupply?
    -Is it possible that the OALD is operating independently of oversupply? (i.e., supply managed, OALD not managed?)
    -I read in one of the LLL articles that one baby whose mom had oversupply had a rumbly tummy. Does this mean something? Dd has had a rumbly tummy during feedings for weeks now. (still does)
    -If she's not satisfied to last even a half hour between feedings, does that mean she's still not getting enough hindmilk? Or is it possible that some 3-month old babies still want to nurse every hour? Is she just greedy?
    -Do I really need to look at diet sensitivities? This just seems so implausible, as her level of fussiness during feedings can range from none at all (in the middle of the night) to completely refusing to eat and crying (usually only in the evening)
    Yes, OALD can be independent of an OS; there are mothers with an OALD who have a normal supply or even a low supply -- it just means the milk comes out very hard and fast, which really can upset some babies. And that can take time to go away. You could start implementing techniques to deal with the OALD, such as getting the milk flowing and getting the worst of the OALD over with before putting baby to the breast or trying to lean back; I'm sure there are other suggestions in the FAQ in the resources here.

Some babies really do want to eat every hour or less. That usually happens more in the evenings, but some babies are just that way. It is tough to take -- two of mine were like that -- and I found that it went away on its own with time and age and continued block feeding.

I never noticed a rumbly tummy with any of my kids, so I can't comment on that.

When I have a crabby baby, I do think about sensitivities, and I always start with dairy. All three of mine were much happier after I cut dairy. At least then I know I've tried everything to make them happier.

And I'll say this...some babies are just crabby and have colic, which is defined as at least 3 hours of crying/fussing a day starting after 3 weeks of age, and it usually happens in the evening, after 3PM. My eldest was awful about that. I dreaded him being awake because he would easily become overstimulated and then just start fussing and crying, but he wasn't a good sleeper either. He would literally scream from about 3PM until bedtime, and he didn't want to nurse or anything, but he would fuss any time during the day, even within an hour of waking. The third was similar.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! I have tried other things to manage OALD, like positioning dd "uphill" but that still doesn't seem to help. Sometimes I try to take her off just before it starts spraying, but that seems to upset her just as much as if I let her pull off herself.

And I have considered that she's "just fussy" or colicky or whatever, but the only times she cries are during some feeding times. Otherwise she's a very happy baby. But I know what you mean about dreading them being awake - sometimes I feel like when she's awake, all I ever do is feed her or try to feed her. That's not the same as having a screaming baby all the time, but it's still difficult.

Good to know that eventually it does get easier... just wondering when!

For my two fussy babies, life was easier when they could sit up on their own. The one's acid reflux resolved around then. The second was on reflux medication longer. He's still clingy...it's just how he is
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!