Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drinking alcohol & pumping

Default Drinking alcohol & pumping

This may be a really dumb question but I cannot find an answer. Tonight is my work holiday party & I plan on pumping before I have some drinks at the party. If I don't pump the rest of the night do I have to dump what I pump in the morning or will it be out of my system by then?

Default Re: Drinking alcohol & pumping

How old is baby and what will you be drinking?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jillba View Post
    This may be a really dumb question but I cannot find an answer. Tonight is my work holiday party & I plan on pumping before I have some drinks at the party. If I don't pump the rest of the night do I have to dump what I pump in the morning or will it be out of my system by then?
    kellymom.com has good info on alcohol and bfing. It depends on what time you stop drinking/when you'll be nursing again. alcohol leaves milk the same way it leaves your bloodstream.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

If you pump while intoxicated, dump that milk. If you're not intoxicated anymore, the alcohol has left your milk and you can nurse or pump.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Pump and dump doesn't work in this situation because if it's in your blood, it's also in your milk. It's recommended to drink only after you feed baby and wait three hrs (or longer depending on how much you drink) to feed or pump again. Also if you are only having one drink I really wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apie View Post
    Pump and dump doesn't work in this situation because if it's in your blood, it's also in your milk. It's recommended to drink only after you feed baby and wait three hrs (or longer depending on how much you drink) to feed or pump again. Also if you are only having one drink I really wouldn't worry about it.
    I agree about the one drink, absolutely. I do not worry about drinking one or two drinks (especially if it's sipping them over several hours with food) at all, I just keep nursing.

But I don't understand the other point: If a mama wants to have more than a couple of drinks, and then feels engorged and uncomfy (but still tipsy), she can pump and dump that milk (don't use milk you expressed while you were tipsy!), while feeding the baby expressed breast milk from her stash.

If she's not uncomfortable, there is no need to pump, as the alcohol is naturally metabolized and leaves the milk at the same rate it leaves the rest of the body.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

if you're ok to drive then you're usually ok to nurse. I agree with post above, if you are drunk and pump then toss that milk but the next day when you're sober, the milk is fine.
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; December 28th, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I agree about the one drink, absolutely. I do not worry about drinking one or two drinks (especially if it's sipping them over several hours with food) at all, I just keep nursing.

But I don't understand the other point: If a mama wants to have more than a couple of drinks, and then feels engorged and uncomfy (but still tipsy), she can pump and dump that milk (don't use milk you expressed while you were tipsy!), while feeding the baby expressed breast milk from her stash. If she's not uncomfortable, there is no need to pump, as the alcohol is naturally metabolized and leaves the milk at the same rate it leaves the rest of the body.
    Absolutely Guess I should have clarified, what I meant was pumping after drinking will not remove the tainted milk leaving untainted milk in refilled breasts. The alcohol will remain in the milk for as long as it is in the blood, but if momma is uncomfy then by all means, pump and dump.
    Sorry if I was unclear.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apie View Post
    Absolutely Guess I should have clarified, what I meant was pumping after drinking will not remove the tainted milk leaving untainted milk in refilled breasts. The alcohol will remain in the milk for as long as it is in the blood, but if momma is uncomfy then by all means, pump and dump.
    Sorry if I was unclear.
    Ah, gotcha.

You can call me JoMo!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    if you're ok to drive then you're usually ok to drink. .
    hee hee. someone said this to DH (he was on duty) at the bar the other night
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it