Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 items:hot flashes and diminishing milk supply, and alimentum supplementation

Default 2 items:hot flashes and diminishing milk supply, and alimentum supplementation

I am hoping for any one else's experience with this. (And I'm really hoping I'm not the only one....) DD is 4 weeks old. She has been breastfeeding and I've been pumping to give expressed milk at times, too. I have always had lots of milk (3-4 oz total per pump). However, twice, I have had diminishing milk supply. The first time I just thought I wasn't pumping long enough on times DD wasn't also breastfeeding (only made ~2oz). Well, it's happening again, but this time, my right breast is not even putting out enough milk to cover the bottom of the medela bottle on the pump. Left is putting out 1 oz. After some reflection, I have noticed both times my milk diminished has followed days of hormone fluctuations with menopause-like hot flashes. Has anyone else had this happen?

Secondly, I was curious if anyone has ever had their infant have such reflux that the pediatrician recommended using Alimentum for 24 hours to see if the problem corrects itself. If so, what was your experience? I am trying it, but I am also desperate to be able to feed breastmilk to DD also.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your experience and advice.

Default Re: 2 items:hot flashes and diminishing milk supply, and alimentum supplementation

It's pretty normal for pump output to fluctuate based on when you pump, how often you pump, how well you respond to pumping and to the particular make/model of pump you have. Also, many moms notice that they can pump large amounts of milk when their babies are brand new, and then see those amounts diminish as time goes on and their bodies adjust to produce the exact right amount of milk, without a lot of extra left over to get pumped out. So having a couple of sessions where you're getting less milk than average or than expected is pretty normal.

After some reflection, I have noticed both times my milk diminished has followed days of hormone fluctuations with menopause-like hot flashes. Has anyone else had this happen?
    Hmm, this is a new one to me. Are you taking any hormonal contraception? Alternately, have you had any problems with your thyroid?

Being in a "menopause-like" state postpartum is actually pretty normal- when you're breastfeeding your estrogen levels are suppressed by prolactin, the hormone responsible for milk production.

Secondly, I was curious if anyone has ever had their infant have such reflux that the pediatrician recommended using Alimentum for 24 hours to see if the problem corrects itself. If so, what was your experience? I am trying it, but I am also desperate to be able to feed breastmilk to DD also.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Alimentum was for babies with allergy concerns? Have you tried any reflux meds for your baby/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 2 items:hot flashes and diminishing milk supply, and alimentum supplementation

I have a baby, well toddler now, that STILL has reflux. And when I say it was severe...that's an understatement. She refluxed so badly that she'd choke on her vomit, vomit through her nose, and then it got to be so bad that she'd end up aspirating. The aspiration lead to a chronic cough and chronic lung infections. She was started on a high dose of prevacid as an infant. Her reflux got so bad that it caused chronic sinus/ear infections

Anyways, I was able to nurse her through all of it. I nurse her for almost 2yrs. I never gave her formula. Can you imagine if your child refluxed and then inhaled that stuff into their lungs?? My doc always said it'd be better to inhale breastmilk than formula

And I did many many trials to try and figure out what in the world caused her reflux. I never did. I tried dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, egg-free....NOTHING helped. She just had to get bigger and in combination with medicine...she just outgrew it.

If she is happy, gaining weight well, and reflux is the only problem...I'd treat the reflux, not supplement her with processed, powdered milk made from another animal
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    I have a baby, well toddler now, that STILL has reflux. And when I say it was severe...that's an understatement. She refluxed so badly that she'd choke on her vomit, vomit through her nose, and then it got to be so bad that she'd end up aspirating. The aspiration lead to a chronic cough and chronic lung infections. She was started on a high dose of prevacid as an infant. Her reflux got so bad that it caused chronic sinus/ear infections

Anyways, I was able to nurse her through all of it. I nurse her for almost 2yrs. I never gave her formula. Can you imagine if your child refluxed and then inhaled that stuff into their lungs?? My doc always said it'd be better to inhale breastmilk than formula

And I did many many trials to try and figure out what in the world caused her reflux. I never did. I tried dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, egg-free....NOTHING helped. She just had to get bigger and in combination with medicine...she just outgrew it.

If she is happy, gaining weight well, and reflux is the only problem...I'd treat the reflux, not supplement her with processed, powdered milk made from another animal

Regarding the hot flashes...I had those with my first baby, but I never noticed a change in supply but I also wasn't pumping at that point.

My thought regarding your supply...it's just evened itself out already. If your baby is satisfied at the breast, that's all it is. If you really need to produce extra milk to store, you could pump after a few nursing sessions or in the morning, when most mamas notice they have more milk, and give it a few days and your body will start producing a bit more that you can then save.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had a lot of weird physical sensations when I first started nursing Joe, including sweats, warm flushing (like a hot flash), and weird tingling sensations all over my body, like I had a fever. I never figured out what that was, I think I just have REALLY STRONG LETDOWN SENSATIONS because of OALD. They faded after a couple weeks and eventually went away entirely.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

To answer some questions, no, I am not taking any medications and I had my thyroid checked at the beginning of pregnancy and was deemed normal. I have no other guess as to what it could be, so I was just blaming fluctuating hormones.

Alimentum is for allergies and other food sensitivities. Our pediatrician was concerned that DD's reflux was compounded by vomiting from food sensitivities, so wanted to do a trial. I had tried eliminating trigger foods from my diet and hadn't found the culprit. It actually seems to be helping, which breaks my heart to a degree (I'd rather exclusively breast feed, but I'm elated DD is feeling better). We are giving her gut time to mature (she was early) and then will reintroduce breast milk. We are pumping in the meantime. We are on maximum doses of reflux meds, so offering an elemental formula was the last option to help before really intervening.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debs View Post
    I have no other guess as to what it could be, so I was just blaming fluctuating hormones.
    I do think that at first, it's almost like your breasts have a life of their own. It takes a while to get used to all of the new sensations.

I'll wait for the allergy-expert moms to really weigh in about the Allimentum, but I think they'll say, have you tried cutting common allergens from your diet? For most babies, even with severe allergies, breastmilk is the best tolerated food.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It sounds like your supply is just regulating, as others have said. And the fact that you aren't nursing and only pumping will lower your supply, too. baby gets bm out better than the pump.

I got SEVERE hot flashes for the first month or so with my LO. I would sweat through my clothes, sweat through the sheets -- it was disturbing. I think partly it's normal too because your body is trying to get rid of the excess fluid it retained during pregnancy - but mine lasted much longer. It slowly just went away.

But I would think your change in feeding (from breast to bottle) has more to do with your fluctuating supply that the hormonal changes.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it