Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spitting up? Or Throwing Up?

Default Spitting up? Or Throwing Up?

My daughter is almost 4 weeks old now and breast feeding is going well excpet sometimes at night she will throw up .. A-LOT! Not spit up but throw all she has inside up.

I am wondering why? I think it could be because she is not a good burper or rather I am not .. any techniques I should use I try forever sometimes with no result and feel like such a monster while I keep patting her back.
    oh and I know this is my 2nd question in days but I have so many! And it is sooo scary when my daughter does this!

Default Re: Spitting up? Or Throwing Up?

Look up acid reflux in babys, i think its called GERB.. She may have that, google it and see if she has any other symptoms..

When you say she's throwing up, is it forceful and projectile?

How often would you say she does it? Once a week? Every other night? Is it around the same time of night each time?

How does she behave afterward?

More burping might help (although some breastfed babies just don't burp that much!). I wasn't that great at bringing up the burps either. The way that worked best for me was to sit the baby up on my lap, facing to the side, support his head from the front (with his chin in my hand), and then bend him forward slightly at the hips while patting his back. That usually worked if anything was going to.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

Does she seem upset when she does it? Is it projectile? It could just be that she is upright for longer periods of time during the day after she eats, and laying down at night right after a feeding could just bring it all up.

To put it in perspective, my pediatrician told me to throw a teaspoon of water all over the counter and see how much 1 tsp looks like when it's strewn about - it always looks like more than it is.

That being said, my LO spits up a TON after almost every meal. It's not projectile, and it doesn't seem to bother him, but it's enough that I stopped using burp clothes and just use receiving blankets & towels to catch and clean the mess. It soaks through his clothes - we go through about 4-6 outfits a day. But he is gaining plenty of weight & has plenty of wet & dirty diapers and it doesn't seem to bother him. However, I'm at the point where I'm starting to eliminate foods from my diet, because it does affect his quality of sleep. Even though it doesn't upset him, it does wake him up. I do burp him before he eats, during the feeding, and after - and he always brings up a big burp...but he still ends up spitting up.

Anyway - if it doesn't seem to bother her, and she is still gaining weight & having enough diaper output, I think she'll be just fine. You could always try keeping her upright a little longer before putting her down after nursing at night. Good Luck

she isn't really upset when she throws up... and sometimes it is projectile

I promise it's actually way less than it looks like, not the whole feeding.

As long as she isn't bothered, I wouldn't worry. DS1 used to do this a lot, but his weight gain and his diapers were fine and he could have cared less. We had to do A LOT of laundry though.

DS2 on the other hand didn't spit up as much but has painful reflux and did have to go on meds. Unless she has any other symptoms or it is bothering her, I would not worry and get some oxi-clean.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

thank you so much for replying to my post! You have no idea how reassuring it is to read them.. I am a bit of a worry wart! My daughter isn't bothered by the throwing up so I am not so concerned and the fact that the comment that it looks more than it is also calms me. Cause it looks like she is throwing up everything but her diapers are full and yesterday at the doctors she has gained a pound and 12 ounces so I am more at ease with this messy behavior.

Again thanks for the posts!