Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I keep hearing maybe I have OALD...

Default I keep hearing maybe I have OALD...

But maybe I'm confused about what it is?

I assumed if I had OALD I would be basically spraying or leaking at a high rate. When I let down, I basically have some little drips from the opposite nipple. No overwhelming drips, flow, sprays. I can GET it to spray when pumping or manually expressing, but that seems like what it should be doing, because if you apply pressure to any vessel with liquid with small holes that you apply pressure to...

I feel like I may have just the opposite... sometimes I try to nurse, and my other breast isn't letting down/ having any leaking at all? I really still think I have had supply issues from the get go...

Default Re: I keep hearing maybe I have OALD...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

check out this link there is lots of info..
    Could you tell us more about why you think your milk supply is low?

Having read your other threads, I think we suggested OALD as a possibility because your daughter is very fussy at the breast, right? And that is a common cause. You might indeed have OALD, but you also might be dealing with other issues like reflux (?), also discussed in that thread. How's it going? Are you still supplementing? Are things easing up at all?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I am still supplementing with formula when need be. I do everything I can to get him to nurse, and if he absolutely won't in spite of every trick I know, I supplement. With a bottle, because spoons and droppers make him scream, swallow air, then get terrible gas which makes him so uncomfortable and in pain that he definitely won't nurse after that. I just can't pump enough to feed him solely breastmilk.

I know what the symptoms are with the baby when you have OALD, but what does it LOOK like when the baby is not on the breast?? Does it pretty much mean a crazy flow? Because if so, I think that's not my issues, and that's what I am really looking to confirm
    Last edited by @llli*thatheathergirl; December 27th, 2010 at 05:28 PM.

Some mamas have OALD where they spray all over the place, or that happens with just one breast. Many OALD mamas leak from the opposite breast, but leaking while nursing can also be normal for anyone.

You can still have OALD but it not be that obvious. It could be that your letdown is just a bit too forceful when your DS nurses and it upsets him because he prefers a slow drip versus a stream, like you get when you compress the breast. Does that make sense?

It's also possible there are other issues going on. My oldest child was very difficult to nurse. I had OALD, OS, and inverted nipples, and he had reflux, and I suspect, looking back, that he also had a dairy sensitivity that went undiagnosed. It made the first 8 weeks of nursing very, very difficult until I figured a few things out that worked for us.

So don't give up. Keep asking questions and trying different things!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Okay: Baby chokes and sputters when your milk lets down and latches off the breast, sometimes fussing; milk sprays when you let down; often you feel strong let-down sensations, almost painful; your baby may have greenish foamy poops (a sign of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance).

I agree, I don't think OALD is your primary problem, if it's a problem for you at all. Your baby sounds more like a baby suffering from colic, reflux, GERD, or another tummy problem. What you're describing about swallowing air and gas sound more like a tummy issue.

One thing about these forums is that not everyone reads every thread (of course ) so sometimes you'll post a new thread and get the same thoughts you've already heard and ruled out. I may have missed a few myself, but what you describe sounds either like a stomach issue for your baby and/or issue with low supply for you. There are several medical conditions that commonly cause low supply in mothers - PCOS is one very common one that we see a lot here. I don't know much about it, but lots of moms on here do. There are prescriptions available (domperidone) to increase milk supply in moms who are struggling to keep up, and they are quite effective from everything I've heard.

I just want to encourage you to keep looking for more/better answers here. I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with this! You're doing such a good job under difficult circumstances.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thatheathergirl View Post
    But maybe I'm confused about what it is?

I assumed if I had OALD I would be basically spraying or leaking at a high rate. When I let down, I basically have some little drips from the opposite nipple. No overwhelming drips, flow, sprays. I can GET it to spray when pumping or manually expressing, but that seems like what it should be doing, because if you apply pressure to any vessel with liquid with small holes that you apply pressure to...

I feel like I may have just the opposite... sometimes I try to nurse, and my other breast isn't letting down/ having any leaking at all? I really still think I have had supply issues from the get go...
    You don't need to have any spraying/leaking/dripping out the other breast to have OALD. I have a very, very fast flow that made nursing difficult in the beginning, and I maybe had a couple drips out the other breast but nothing much.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I think I have OALD due to choking and the baby leaking everywhere, but my milk never continued to spray once pulled off and my other side did not leak either. I'm hardly one to give advice though. Block feeding and reclined nursing has helped...
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thatheathergirl View Post
    I am still supplementing with formula when need be. I do everything I can to get him to nurse, and if he absolutely won't in spite of every trick I know, I supplement. With a bottle, because spoons and droppers make him scream, swallow air, then get terrible gas which makes him so uncomfortable and in pain that he definitely won't nurse after that. I just can't pump enough to feed him solely breastmilk.

I know what the symptoms are with the baby when you have OALD, but what does it LOOK like when the baby is not on the breast?? Does it pretty much mean a crazy flow? Because if so, I think that's not my issues, and that's what I am really looking to confirm
    How much are you nursing him? Was yesterday your first exclusive day? You can't get a read on it based on what your OTHER breast is doing, instead pay attention to how your breasts ejaculate when you are pumping them. If the first let down is INTENSE. Can be visibly seen, and then subsides substancially then it really could be. Also if when you squeeze on your breast you can get the milk to shoot a distance that usually IS OALD. Because the science of breastfeeding doesn't actually work the way you described it. Milk shooting any kind of distance is about PRESSURE in the letdown and that can cause OALD and often does.

Way too lazy for formula

Yep, even with OALD you're not going to get spraying from the other breast, and maybe not even dripping. If your baby pulls off the breast during letdown you might see some spraying though. But overall it's how your baby behaves that tells you the most.

I remember you were going to ask your doctor about reflux. How did that go?
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman