Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hormone headaches?

Default hormone headaches?

I'm having trouble nursing my three month old all of the sudden. I work forty hours a week and she gets a formula supplement a couple times a day, as pumping at work in my new position has not been very successful. I have an hour long lunch break where I typically nurse her for twenty to thirty minutes before returning back to work. I eat quickly before nursing or try to eat at the same time. By the end of my lunch break I've started feeling faint. My blood pressure elevates, I'm burning up everywhere except in my fingers and my head starts pounding. I feel like I'm about to pass out and like I'm falling even when lying still. I've left work twice to got the ER to find out what is going on. They were unable to diagnoe me fully but said they felt I am probably experiencing migraines brought on by the the hormone release of oxytocin. They did many tests, (MRI, CT scan, etc.) that came back normal. I really need to make it through the day at work (financially and for job stability!). I am afraid to nurse and have been giving her formula. I'm not ready to wean her and want to continue with breastfeeding, but am very frustrated by this new development. Has anyone else experienced this? It started earlier this week and has been an issue for about four days. I'm becoming engorged and I;m not sure what to do.

Default Re: hormone headaches?

I'm sorry no one has answered your question yet. There was a post similar to this but not as extreme a while back and I myself feel faint sometimes, but never to the extent you are talking about. Hopefully someone else will be able to ask questions and help you out. Good Luck.

I can't offer you any advice but I can empathize with you. In my first trimester, I got the worst headaches...just like you said...feeling faint, dizzy and oh, the throbbing. They went away around 16 weeks...and I haven't had one since, but I missed a ton of work because of it. You are not alone...but is there medication you can take for the headaches and still continue to breastfeed? Is it only happening during your noon feedings?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

knaomi, how are you doing? I have never experienced anything like this, but I can imagine it's awful. Are you pumping and/or able to feed DD at other times? If you decide you need to wean for health reasons, you might want to look at these weaning FAQs from the Kellymom site. You'll want to try to avaoid mastitis and plugged ducts.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html

Please let us know how you are doing.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

I nursed Allee yesterday afternoon and didn't move for an hour. I did alright, with a mild headache and some elevation in blood pressure. I pumped right before going to sleep about seven hours later. It seems to make me sick only if I try to move around afterwards. My husband is encouraging me to wean for both my sake and hers. The doc says she has reflux and a bit of a milk allergy. She spits up mpre and fusses a lot after having my milk. Its just that I wanted this to last longer than three months. People tell me that its good she got three months worth, but I wanted to make it to at least six. We give her Similac Isomil as a supplement now. She is also on Zantac. I've read so many negative things about brain development and soy formula. So that has also made me want to continue giving her momma milk. I feel like weaning might be the answer, but I feel disappointed and a bit guilty even considering it....

I am sorry that you are not feeling well. Could you take off work - a bfing vacation - and just hang out, eat well, and bf? Maybe it's just a phase and your body needs rest. Ultimately, I would do what is best for you and your dd. Although momma's milk is awesome, I know lots of people that were formula babies and they are just as intelligent and successful as everyone else. Good luck - Hope things get better.

Do you feel okay after pumping? If you are fine with pumping, an option is to exclusively pump and feed DD ebm that way. I can't imagine how hard this must be for you. I used to get migraines several years ago so I know how miserable they are. Luckily, they stopped about a year before I got pregnant. I don't think I could cope if I still got them. Please take care of yourself. It isn't the end of the world if you need to stop bf. Many of us were formula-fed and we turned out great. Hang in there!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)