Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 month old not really eating much solids...

Default 9 month old not really eating much solids...

My darling is 9 months old today!
    He is breastfed, not a drop of formula ever.
    We started baby led solids around 6 months, and he has been really into it for a while (would still nurse 6-8 times a day though). Then about a month ago, he is just not very interested in solids at all. He will play with his food, some will end up in his mouth, every now and again there will be one meal when he will eat a surprising amount of solids, but most of the time, its just tiny bits here and there. He cannot stand baby foods, the only things he will eat while being spoon fed is yogurt and avocado, everything else you either have to put in his mouth just by hand or he will try to eat it himself.
    Over the past week, I would estimate his total solids intake at about 3 oz a day at the most.
    I don't know any adults that are still on exclusive milk diet, so I know he will eat solids eventually, but I am getting concerned... He is interested in foods, and he likes everything so far that we have given him (he is adventurous in foods), but how do I encourage him to eat more?
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: 9 month old not really eating much solids...

3 oz a day at 9 mo sounds like plenty to me. My babies' interest in solids fluctuated too. And it was a really long time before they ate what could be considered three meals a day (my DS probably only ate the equivalent of 2 meals a day until he was 3). I know several moms who didn't really worry about solids until their babies were over a year, and they did just fine. Before a year it's really more about experimenting with different flavors and textures -- the bulk of his nutrition is still coming from your milk.

I'd suggest not worrying about spoon feeding and just let him feed himself.If he's trying new foods and enjoying them, even if he's not eating a lot, then you're establishing a great foundation for later. He's learning to like a wide variety of foods and he's also learning to manage his own intake. It sounds to me like you're doing great!
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

So, does that mean I need to introduce formula after all? We are planning on starting on the second one in the next couple of months...

No there is no need to introduce formula . Like the PP said, the first year is about experimenting with food. Baby's nutritional needs still come from your milk.
    28 y/o, happy wife to C
    doula, placenta lady, lactivist, non- vax, , , mommy to H (7/08)
    **Swagbucks anyone?** **Search, earn, redeem**

Thats exactly my worry. I don't think I can keep up this nursing schedule that we currently have for much longer... I need to be able to leave my sweetie with his grammy for example for a full day and not have to worry about pumping while I am away. I have some milk stashed in the freezer, but not enough for the next 3 months...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elesha View Post
    Thats exactly my worry. I don't think I can keep up this nursing schedule that we currently have for much longer... I need to be able to leave my sweetie with his grammy for example for a full day and not have to worry about pumping while I am away. I have some milk stashed in the freezer, but not enough for the next 3 months...
    If you have to be away for long periods of time and you can't pump, then yes, he'll probably need some formula. Solids really can't provide him with sufficient nutrition at this age, even he were willing to eat more.

Are you going back to work?
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

I've been back at work for a while now, but my schedule is now getting more intense - I have back to back long meetings where I cannot excuse myself to go pump.