Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No weight gain from 9-13 mths??

Default No weight gain from 9-13 mths??

Just took DD2 in for her 1 year appt, she is 13 mths and has not gained even one ounce since 9 mths. She weighed exactly 22 lbs at both visits. She is a picky solids eater and refuses to nurse more than 4 times a day, usually for a maximum of 5 min each time. She drinks maybe 2 oz at lunch and 2 oz at dinner of breastmilk from her cup. Nothing I have done has gotten her to nurse more. I am worried, though the ped did not say anything at all-she isn't the best tho so I don't really value her opinion anyway. She had grown 2 inches in length.

I just feel like we are starving her. DD1 was such a butterball, so nice and plump and barely ate any solids either at age one.

Any ideas/opinions?

Thanks,
    Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: No weight gain from 9-13 mths??

What you describe sounds okay to me. After the 6 month point, it's normal for weight gain to slow as the baby expends more and more calories on motion instead of packing them on as fat. Also, sometimes a baby will grow a lot in one dimension and pause in another- for example, pausing in weight gain while growing significantly in height. The allocation of calories isn't always equal.

Your baby hasn't slipped far on the chart (see http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart3.html), and as long as she continues to grow in length and head circumference, meet milestones, and seem happy and healthy, I really wouldn't worry.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mt dd did gain between 9-12 months, but it was only a bit over a lb. She was 16 1/2 lbs at 12 months. Your DD now weighs more then my DD at nearly 21 months...lol. Anyhow, I guess its totally normal to have a slow gain as they get older. We just have to get used to it. What did the pedi say??
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I see from your siggy that you have dealt with some reflux. Is she still on meds for that? How is that going?

I ask because we tried to take my 13 month old off the reflux meds at 1 year and had to put him back on because he still needed them. It was affected his eating and he was screaming at the breast.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My third child has fit that pattern. It's OK. My ped didn't say much either, and I suspect that's because it's normal, particularly if the child has grown longer, is meeting his/her milestones and seems healthy in every other way.

For my guy, it was simply that he's running around sooooo much

He was also just weighed before his surgery, and I think he's only gained a pound since his 1 year old checkup It's just how he is.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My bf daughter was always gaining weight slowly and after some time it's normal for the gain to slow down, especially when LOs become more active. Just to give you an idea....My 2.5 y/o is around 24 lbs. She's tiny but super heathy, active, and happy.

I used to worry a lot about her weight gain and people's comments about DD being so tiny (compared to ff baby's_ and often talked to her ped about it. Her answer was: "Your daughter is getting everything she needs from you and she is getting the healthy fat"
    Last edited by @llli*honeybee; December 26th, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
    28 y/o, happy wife to C
    doula, placenta lady, lactivist, non- vax, , , mommy to H (7/08)
    **Swagbucks anyone?** **Search, earn, redeem**

Thanks everyone, I just feel like I am starving her but I don't know what would help her. She is still on reflux meds and we have tried them all and this combination seems to be best for her. She is very long, over 97 percentile so she is growing. I know she is big at 22 lbs but it did seem like she should gain at least some weight, even if it slowed down. I just felt like she shouldn't stop gaining for 4 mths in a row.

Its also hard for me cause DD1 was so plump, she was 24 lbs at 1 year, 28 lbs at 2 years and weights 40 lb at 3.5 years. She has a different body type than DD2, she is broad across teh chest like my dh. She is not fat at all and loves to eat. And no junk here either, at least very little. She only eats whole grain, veggies, fruits and chicken due to dairy/egg allergy. She even asked for a cookie at Christmas and ate two bites and was done.

I know all kids are different but it is very hard not to compare. Especially when DD1 was always attached to my boob and loving it while DD2 randomly refuses for no apparent reason and doesn't appear to enjoy it very much.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Aww, I hear ya! My DS was always on the charts, even though tall and thin, now at 5 he is in the 75th-90th% for height, but only the 10-15th for BMI. BUT thats casue he is tall and thin! My DD is so SMALL!!! I am not used to a small child. At 21 months she is still in 9 and 12 month clothing...just now able to wear some 18 months FINALLY!! And she is my EATER! DS was HORRIBLE...partly due to his cleft lip and palate, he was super sensitive to textures and is JUST NOW begining to try other foods. Then I have DD who eats anything and everyting, more then her big bro ever ate, and she is off the charts tiny. GO FIGURE!!!

I cant help but compare my 2 as well...I just want to make sure that DD is healthy. And she is

hang in there, here's hoping for growth spurts for our little ones!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK