Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: labeling freezer bags with a marker harmful?

Default labeling freezer bags with a marker harmful?

i am just wondering - if i label a milk storage bag with a marker, could the chemical from the marker go through the plastic somehow? is there a better solution for labeling the bags?

Default Re: labeling freezer bags with a marker harmful?

The bags I used had a place at the top above the "zipper" that I would write on. I always used a pen to mark it. I don't really know if a marker would be harmful, but I think if you mark it at the top where the milk isn't sitting it will be fine. Either way it's better than formula

I always used a Sharpie. I don't see how it could go through the plastic. If you're really concerned, consider freezing your milk in glass bottles instead of any kind of plastic. After a while, I started doing this - it takes up a lot of room and bottles are relatively expensive, though, so it only makes sense if your stash is relatively small. I used glass bottles on my pump, so I never had to transfer anything. They would thaw out in the bottle, put a nipple on, and Joe would drink. I found that, for a small stash, this is easier and involves less waste. I would put a piece of masking tape on the bottle and date it.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; December 25th, 2010 at 01:36 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Or you could modify joe.s.mom's idea and use marker on a piece of masking tape and stick it to the bag
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    The bags I used had a place at the top above the "zipper" that I would write on. I always used a pen to mark it. I don't really know if a marker would be harmful, but I think if you mark it at the top where the milk isn't sitting it will be fine. Either way it's better than formula

Like PP said, write on the top where the milk isn't sitting. I usually use a sharpie. I wouldn't be concerned... I'm sure there are worse things in our water
    First baby Thanos Liam born on 12/20/2009... we are and since birth and still going strong!!