Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toddler Nursing and Fertility

Default Toddler Nursing and Fertility

Good morning, Mommies! Happy Holidays to everyone!
    I am a 37 year old mommy nursing my 3 year old daughter, maybe once or twice during the day (very quick sessions) and at night to put her to sleep. I was on the mini pill for a couple of years and then tried a couple of other pills before I got off birth control completely about 4 months ago. My period returned about 6-8 months ago. My husband and I want one more child and I have been tracking my ovulation for the past 3 months. I will get a period, but I am not ovulating. Before when I was on birth control, I had no trouble conceiving and within a month or two of getting off birth control, I was pregnant. Wanted to get your opinions here. Is it because I am still nursing? Maybe the prolactin is interfering with ovulation? Or maybe is it my age? Or my body still adjusting to nursing, etc.? Hoping to ovulate soon! Not ready to completely wean my daughter yet, but want to get pregnant. I know other mommies are able to get pregnant while nursing. I was hoping to be one of them. But I have read that sometimes you have to wean completely in order for your body to start ovulating again. What has been your experience/what have you heard? Thanks for listening!!!

Default Re: Toddler Nursing and Fertility

are you sure you aren't ovulating?

I have been doing the ovulation predictor tests, and the tests haven't given me a positive result yet.... : )

Hmm, in that case I'd see your doctor or midwife. I think that once your cycle returns, your prolactin levels should be low enough to allow ovulation. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works. So if you're having anovulatory cycles after 4 months of no hormonal birth control and such a minimal level of nursing, that to me says that something could be a bit wonky. Not necessarily bad wonky- just worth getting checked out.

Meanwhile, have you read Toni Weschler's Taking Charge of Your Fertility? OPKs are great- I know several people who have had success using them- but there's more to your cycle than just ovulation. If you can go in to see your provider with a month's worth of basal body temperature and cervical mucus/position data, you may be able to figure out more quickly if there's an issue or not.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When in the day are you doing the OPKs? You may need to test several times in a day to catch your LH surge (morning, early afternoon noon-3 pm, and evening). Are you charting? Biphasic temps are the best way to show ovulation.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I wouldn't expect that amount of nursing to be enough to suppress ovulation, especially if you've been having your period for 6 months. I agree it might be worth a checkup with your ob/gyn or midwife.

And about the book mommal mentioned -- in my personal experience, charting the way it suggests can give you a clearer picture of what's going on. I charted for a year or so when we were trying for baby #2 and I was surprised how easy it was to tell when I ovulated and when my period would start. I don't know if it works as well for everyone, but for me it was quite helpful.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--