Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rash on breasts? Need help please.

Unhappy Rash on breasts? Need help please.

I have been experiencing a rash on my right breast for the last two weeks or so....it goes from the inside curve of my breast to the underside and the up...like a U shape almost.

At my 6week CU this week, my MW said it could/might be thrush and to apply a yeast fighting cream, like a vagisil or something, but this scares me, even washing it off before the bb eats....Im scared of her getting residue in her mouth by accident or something....

on the other side, how do I know for sure it is Thrush? There isn't any signs of the baby having symptoms: IE patches in mouth, etc...and what they say are symptoms for me don't really match either....but what else could it be?

Baby is 7 weeks, sometimes has greenish poops, but no rash on her bum, as I've read could be tell.

Can I still feed her from this side or will this harm her?

It always feels hot and is itchy, but not on my nipple, just the breast skin.

I am using grapefruit seed extract right now, as I feel safer using this than medicated cream...also, my bb like to sleep on my chest, A LOT, so I wondering if this is poss from the heat/sweat of her head being there?

Sorry...I'm just a little nervous and not sure what to do here.

Default Re: Rash on breasts? Need help please.

Congrats on your new baby!

I would try the cream. Dr. Jack Newman says it's fine to use that while nursing. I did and my dd is fine. You do not want it to spread if it's yeast - trust me. I'd use it asap.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

with the PP.

When you say the rash is U-shaped, does it follow the curve of your bra in any way? Like, does it follow the curve of an underwire or band? If so, a different bra or going bra-less may help, or just washing the one you have w/ a different detergent or with hot water (this is recommended for thrush so I'd do it anyway) could help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

any way you could cover it and use the yeast cream... it souldn't take more then 12 hours to make it feal beter.

A little update...and more problems

I have been using the cream now for 3 days, along with rinsing using the 50%vinegar 50% water rinse they suggest. I change my clothing with every feeding/washing and it seems to be slightly less red....BUT...

now I am noticing when my bb has a diaper change there is a slight yellow/green discharge, and this morning as I took her diaper off, she started to pee and as she did she cried like it hurt.....SO....

now I am worried she might have an infection.....is this linked back to the rash/thrush I have? It only makes sense to me.

I do NOT want to stop BF'ing, but I don't want to be making her sick either....

this is so frustrating. What do I do??
    My first babygirl took us three years of trying, but alas, we did it!

Peliah 'Pella' Grace ~ 11/08/10 ~ 7lbs 4oz

A Moby Wrap can be your best friend!

Still trying to get the hang of it, but I refuse to give up!

She wouldn't have it any other way

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*danieller123 View Post
    I have been experiencing a rash on my right breast for the last two weeks or so....it goes from the inside curve of my breast to the underside and the up...like a U shape almost.

At my 6week CU this week, my MW said it could/might be thrush and to apply a yeast fighting cream, like a vagisil or something, but this scares me, even washing it off before the bb eats....Im scared of her getting residue in her mouth by accident or something....

on the other side, how do I know for sure it is Thrush? There isn't any signs of the baby having symptoms: IE patches in mouth, etc...and what they say are symptoms for me don't really match either....but what else could it be?

Baby is 7 weeks, sometimes has greenish poops, but no rash on her bum, as I've read could be tell.

Can I still feed her from this side or will this harm her?

It always feels hot and is itchy, but not on my nipple, just the breast skin.

I am using grapefruit seed extract right now, as I feel safer using this than medicated cream...also, my bb like to sleep on my chest, A LOT, so I wondering if this is poss from the heat/sweat of her head being there?

Sorry...I'm just a little nervous and not sure what to do here.
    And you've ruled out mastitis for this? If so, could it be some kind of heat rash? I have large breasts and occassionally get a heat rash (very raw) under my breast. Believe it or not, I find that using a solid antipersperant resolves it.

normaly kids will run fever with uti?

I don't know might be wise to call her doctor and ask about it

w/ Andrea. Crying when peeing makes me think UTI, especially when there's discharge. I'd definitely call the pediatrician.

Don't worry about making your baby sick by nursing. If this is thrush, then it's something which mama and baby can be passing back and forth, so it's ALWAYS important to treat you and the baby simultaneously. If this is bacterial, then it's highly unlikely that your baby can catch it through nursing, because stomach acid generally destroys bacteria before they can cause infection. Good hand washing would be more important if this is a bacterial thing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"