Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hate my left breast!

Default Re: I hate my left breast!

with everything from joe.s.mom. She knows her OS/OALD!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Haha, I totally stole my description of foremilk/hindmilk from Mommal. I love how symbiotic these forums are that way.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Have you tried nursing while lying on your side?
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Here is the site I was remembering, with a video showing a woman laying back nursing. http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you thank you all. I've had some mildly successful and not so successful feedings on the OALD side. I've tried the sitting up football position and the cradle reclined. I will definitely be checking out the website. It's been such a rough day. My OALD side gets engorged like when my milk came in; I've been hand expressed a little between feedings and before but I'm trying not to do that so that I don't inadvertently increased supply...? It's getting a little better I think? DD was verrry unhappy at the breast this evening, but my breast at least felt a little better afterward and she fell asleep.

Stools are still yellow. Shew. I swear every other feed has been my last today. Thank you for your responses and encouragement. Merry Christmas. Thanks again.

Just be patient! OS/OALD does subside in time. I found it to be a two-steps-forward, one-step-back process... I'd have it under control (or so I thought) only to have it come back again, just not quite as bad as before. The key is just to keep working on positioning and block feeding.

If you're seeing yellow poopies then things are going well!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tend to have severe OALD and OS, and I would NOT recommend EPing for those problems. Why.... pumping makes OS WORSE. You feel full, you pump until you're empty, your breast makes more milk, and you're doing it again. Before you know it...you're producing 8 oz of milk per side every 1-2 hours!! BTDT.

NO. DON'T go there!! It's really uncomfortable, and it will make your return to work worse. Just let it go until you have to start pumping. Your body might stop doing this here really soon.

Stay with the breast.

How I cope...I get the milk going myself, either with expressing or a pump or baby, and when the milk starts spraying (or baby starts choking), take baby off or stop the pumping/expressing, and burp baby while waiting for the spray to stop. That can take a couple minutes. Don't get worked up or upset. It will let up. Catch it in a towel or something. When it slows, put baby back on and let her nurse.

I personally never found the back laying position comfortable or effective. But... sidelying worked because baby could let the excess run out of his mouth. Keep experimenting with positions. And as long as the stools are the right color, things are OK, even if baby is coughing and sputtering a bit when nursing.

And it won't be long before your baby LOVES that OS. Really. My boys all could just hold their mouths open and be fed and it would take me like 5 minutes. It actually frustrated DH more than it did me in the end. He would want to go look at something while I was NIPing and I would make him wait because it wouldn't take me very long to feed the baby and I'd have to call him to find out where he was.

It will be OK. I have BTDT with three babies and will be here any moment with a fourth, and I can promise you that this will not last forever.

ETA: How I block feed. I don't feed with one breast for a certain amount of time, or until I'm rather uncomfortable on that side. For example, I make lots more milk on my left than on my right, a consequence of two lumpectomies on that breast as a 20-something. I might use the right for a couple feedings, which does help to ensure my baby got plenty of hindmilk (my babies have tended to want to nurse every 1-2 hours on average), then the left is really quite full by then. So then, when baby is ready to nurse again, I use the left, after getting the milk going. I might then go back to the right for the next couple of feedings. I play it by ear and by how full I am and how bad the OS is and how hungry baby is; if baby is still hungry, I might go ahead and use that left side early. I discovered it totally by accident actually, and just do what seems natural and keeps me as comfortable as possible yet makes sure baby is fed. Make sense?
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; December 26th, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thumbs up Re: I hate my left breast!

Thanks again for the replies--did I mention that? I was in a panic mode but stuck with the breast and block feeding (I just do one at a time and switch and that's three hours there) and things are actually better! The enforcement on the left is almost totally gone, so no hand expressing or lumpy bowling balls in between and baby is doing well enough with the letdown. The choking and so forth is more traumatic for me it seems.

I've been switching up the positions....I think she likes the reclined cradle best. As far as work and pumping I've definitely put that off another week

ETA: plenty of pee and yellow curdy poop

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angelpeach838 View Post
    Thanks again for the replies--did I mention that? I was in a panic mode but stuck with the breast and block feeding (I just do one at a time and switch and that's three hours there) and things are actually better! The enforcement on the left is almost totally gone, so no hand expressing or lumpy bowling balls in between and baby is doing well enough with the letdown. The choking and so forth is more traumatic for me it seems.

I've been switching up the positions....I think she likes the reclined cradle best. As far as work and pumping I've definitely put that off another week

ETA: plenty of pee and yellow curdy poop

YAY! Glad to hear things are improving! You're doing wonderfully, just hang in there a bit longer, and breastfeeding will hopefully be a breeze.

You can call me JoMo!