Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate my left breast!

Unhappy I hate my left breast!

Hello there. I've posted in a few different forums here about various things. DD is three weeks old and everything is going fine except for my OS issue on the left side. She chokes and gags. I've been block feeding ....well mostly just always offering up my right breast first and then the left (she rarely takes both). I hand express a little when the left side becomes too full. Im ok with all of this and think it's all pretty much ok. Nice weight gain, yellow seedy poo, etc.

My major concern now that I'm mildly wigging out about is my return to work in a little over three weeks. I work eight hour shifts overnight and in the evenings and not usually in consecutive days. I do want to start pumping though. How do I do this with my already crazy left breast? I don't want to make that problem worse, but I don't know how to go about pumping on the right: before/after nursing, how many times/how long. I'm just really nervous about the whole thing. I was young and undereducated with my first and went straight to EPing with her (and only lasted three months). I prayed long and hard DD2 and I could get the hang of it and I really feel like we have; I don't want going back to work to screw it up and leave her hungry when I go back to work

Default Re: I hate my left breast!

OALD usually becomes less of a problem after a month or so. Your supply will adjust a bit, and your baby will get bigger and better able to handle the high flow. After a little while, your baby will LOVE that crazy left side. Yum!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angelpeach838 View Post
    She chokes and gags. I've been block feeding ....well mostly just always offering up my right breast first and then the left (she rarely takes both).
    Block feeding is intended to lower supply, and will not necessarily address OALD (although the two are linked for many women, they do not always go together). On these forums, I've seen women try to address OALD with block feeding and instead end up drastically lowering their supply. So be careful!

Only offering the right side first means that your left side is always SUPER FULL, which probably aggravates the OALD. I would try other means to address the OALD on that side - hand express before nursing; lay back on the couch and put your baby on top of you to nurse so that the letdown is working against gravity; maybe pump just a little before nursing on that side. But keep offering that left side.

Three weeks is still so early. Your body is still working the whole BF'ing thing out. We usually don't recommend pumping until four weeks. But if you want to start earlier, just pump once, at about the same time every day, after a feeding. Mornings are usually a high supply time. That way, your body is getting used to one more feeding a day, not ten. If you are disciplined about it, you can create some extra supply, without having your body decide that you gave birth to triplets.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

So OS and OALD aren't the same thing? Yikes. How do I remedy OALD? It just works itself out over time? My left breast is like three times the size of my right. And yes, I was planning to wait in pumping and introducing the bottle until the fourth week

And so how can I block feed more successfully? DD only eats every 2-3 hours usually so how does that work in a block feeding schedule? Also, how far in advance should I hand express? Thank you very much.

As I'm sitting here trying to offer my OALD side I'm in tears because she's choking and there is milk everywhere and she's crying every 15 seconds and that's with doing the sitting up football hold. Im really considering moving to EPing. I hate choking her out :'(

Oh no! Sorry you're having such a rough time! I have been there with the OALD, so I feel your frustration.

OALD and OS are often connected, but they are not the same thing. Oversupply can be slowly corrected with block feeding, but OALD will tend to just slowly get better on its own (or more to the point, the baby gets more accommodating of fast flow over time).

It sounds like you also have a bit of OS on that left breast. I would start out block feeding by just offering one breast per feeding, but continue to alternate left and right. Eventually your body will sort it out and make closer to the same amount on both sides. It's normal to have some difference in supply between breasts. My left breast was always "leaky" too! But the extreme difference you're feeling right now should resolve itself over the next month or two.

Have you tried BF'ing while lying back on an incline, like on the couch? Have you tried waiting for a let down, and then unlatching your baby and letting the strongest part of the flow spill into a towel, and then latch back on?

I know it's hard sometimes, but you can get through this! EP'ing is not the easy answer!

Hang in there.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I don't feel my letdowns anymore so I'm not sure how I would know to unlatch her at that time? Are there links about alternate positions? I'm still awkward enough with the regular ones. Thank you for responding. Been a rough day.

Could I just pump on the OALD side and nurse the other? I really hate the idea of her not getting hindmilk. The whole point of this was its what's best for her...and gassy, fussy, sugary milk doesn't sound great

You know you're having a letdown if she is choking and sputtering! Take her off and let some of that milk come out on its own, then put her back down when the flow slows down.

You could pump on that side, at least temporarily. I would definitely recommend that over EP'ing, because, I know it's hard to believe, but your baby is going to grow into that OALD in no time and this will be a distant memory! It's really a short phase, just something to get through as best you can, but the easy part of breastfeeding comes later, when it is SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT than pumping, you will not believe!

Your baby DOES get hindmilk, even if you have OALD. There is no clear divide between foremilk and hindmilk - in general, the first milk to come out is thinner, and the later milk to come out is creamier, but it's not a sharp line, yk? What do your baby's poops look like? If you are making too much foremilk, you'll usually see green foamy poops. Yellow mustardy poops mean she's getting enough hindmilk and you don't have to worry about that.

I know, there are so many things to worry about! But it actually sounds like you are doing great, your baby is thriving (overall), and most of your issues are simply because you're just in those fussy newborn days. It really does get easier and better.

You can call me JoMo!

P.S. I know I've seen a great site that shows women breastfeeding in the reclining position, but I cannot find it right now!! I'm going to post a separate thread asking someone to bump that for me. Gimme a sec. Okay, keep an eye on this thread.

P.P.S. I get you on the positioning! It's hard. So hopefully we'll get you some pictures that will inspire you to try some new positions.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; December 25th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

You can call me JoMo!