Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I was told to pump for 20mins. every 2 hours to rebuild my milk supply....

Default I was told to pump for 20mins. every 2 hours to rebuild my milk supply....

After speaking with a LC about my decreased milk production, I was advised to pump every 2 hrs. for 20 mins. per session...My question is should I do 20mins, per breast or 10mins per breast? Can I over do my pumping ? My son was okay latching on at first but since my dramatic decrease in milk flow I ,supplemented with formula. Needless to say he now refuses the breast so my only option at this point is to pump. What can I do I really don't want to continue with any formula feedings, I am open to whatever effective methods available. I have even took extra time from school in the hopes of rebuilding my supply. (Please Help)

Default Re: I was told to pump for 20mins. every 2 hours to rebuild my milk supply....

I'm thinking you don't have a double electric pump? You might want to consider looking into renting a hospital grade pump, as those are by far the best for increasing milk supply. Having said that, yes - I would pump both sides for 20 minutes, preferably using a double pump, to save you time and increase your production more quickly.

It is possible to overpump, but if your supply is low right now, nursing and pumping a lot is the way to get it back up. Once your supply is back to where it needs to be, THEN you might need to worry about pumping too much. While you are trying to increase your supply, it's not something you need to worry about.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: I was told to pump for 20mins. every 2 hours to rebuild my milk supply....

with Joe's mom. You need a double electric for sure. Hospital grade wouldn't be a bad idea.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

exactly what PPs said! Good luck
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

If you don't have a double electric or can't get one for a few days (I know here that the biggest LC center is closed for the next week! and mamas would have to get a hospital grade pump via the hospital) I would do 10 minutes on one side, switch, do 10 minutes on that side, then go back to the first side and pump for another 5-10 minutes or until the second letdown is done, and then go back, for a total of 15-20 minutes per side. That seems like a lot....but you would probably only have to do it for a few days before your supply rebounds.

Hang in there! You can do it.

Also, don't forget things like oatmeal and various herbs. Some really do help some mamas out.

And you need to also check on how to get baby back to the breast, as honestly, letting a baby nurse as much as possible is the most effective way to rebuild supply. There's various links on that here in the FAQ in the resources section See what works best for your situation.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!