Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diaper rash???

Default Diaper rash???

My daughter is 3 weeks old and has the worst diaper rash! The doctor said it was from partly her being breast fed and gave some advice which I took with no success. Any advice from other mothers would be appreciated! What do I put on my daughters butt???? I have used Butt paste and Desitin and am looking for any remedies I also try to leave her diaper off as much as I can ... this is of course way messy!

Default Re: Diaper rash???

I don't know from personal experience, but my sister's son had repetitive diaper rashes - it turned out it was actually thrush. Thrush doesn't always show up in the baby's mouth - in her case, it was a rash on his bottom. The only thing that worked was Nystatin cream to treat the yeast.

I hope you figure it out soon! Good Luck

Thanks for responding I guess my next question is what is thrush? Wow I have a-lot to learn.. again

It's a yeast infection basically...mom can have it in breasts, baby can have it - both mom & baby can have it...it presents itself in a lot of different ways.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

thanks that was helpful though I don't think it is thrush

It could be a reaction to the diapers and/or wipes. My ds had a terrible rash the whole time we used huggies wipes. As soon as we switched it went away. I tried switching back once and the rash came back. I prefer vasoline on rashes it seals out moisture and irritants better than destin.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

I have no idea why your LO being bf would have to do with a diaper rash. But the best cream I've found is for bf'ed babies. It's the laniosh diaper cream. It's the best!

Generally one use of it and dd's bum clears right up.

You aren't using any scented powders or baby powder, right?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

not speaking from personal experience, but one more thing you can do is give your baby's bum plenty of air time - i've heard it's the best thing for their skin and to prevent any rashes. also like pp said, try switching diapers/wipes.
    Baby girl born 10-15-2010

with tongue tie - hardest thing i've ever done, and the most rewarding. Also , and

I have NEVER EVER EVER heard of a BF baby being more prone to rashes because of BFing, unless it is secondary to an allergy, such as dairy mom eats.

In a newborn, my first thought is ALWAYS yeast. Even if it didn't start as yeast, yeast can move in because the normal skin barrier is broken, and the immune system has to learn to handle yeast, which is also normally on everyone's skin.

Therefore, if I were in that situation (and I have been, with my second child, who got a bad diaper rash at birth that took me a month to clear because yeast never occurred to me), I would use an OTC yeast cream to clear it up, particularly if there's been no improvement with any changes I've tried. It does not always look like speckles or what you might read on the net.

I would also not use any disposable wipes and just use water and a washcloth.

I also use cloth diapers as I found we had far, far fewer problems with cloth than with disposable diapers, not including the fact that cloth diapers very rarely blow out and leak stool and urine.

As far as creams go, there's a bunch. And I personally don't think any one is better than the others, and in particular, I'm not crazy about most of the diaper rash creams like A&D and Desitin and Butt Paste. I don't think they work very well myself.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

you could try to treat it as yeast and if its yeast then it will heal fast...