Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Curious...still lactating!

Default Curious...still lactating!

Hello -

I was hoping someone here knows about this. I breastfed my son for 18 months. We had an easy, gradual "letting go" period as he needed to nurse less and less. I never became engorged as the whole quitting process was quite slow and taken at our own pace.

Now, 6 months later, I find that I'm STILL producing some milk. In certain situations, I find that I'll leak a little. I'm not engorged, but occasionally I wake up with a "heavy" type feeling. And, I sometimes get HUNGRY like I did when I was nursing. Does anyone know how long this will last?

Thank you!

Default Re: Curious...still lactating!

depends on the person. With ds1, he was weaned at 7 months and I still had milk when I got pregnant 9ish months later and even throughout my entire pregnancy I was able to express small amounts of milk. I have heard of women having milk for several years after weaning.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

It will decline gradually, but it's possible for there to be small amounts of milk for years. Usually it's only noticeable if you actually try to express some looking for it (which, if you do it often, can signal your body to keep producing it).

If milk leaks spontaneously (not because of expressing or a breast exam or mammogram), then it might be worth checking in with your doctor. It's probably still nothing to worry about, but I understand there are medical conditions that can cause it.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; December 24th, 2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks for the responses. I guess it's pretty normal then, and I'll just keep an eye on it.

My personal experience -- I could still express a few drops about 4 years after my youngest weaned. I found that out during my first mammogram. It was kind of embarrassing.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman