Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does a pump last?

Default How long does a pump last?

I have a medula pump in style and got it brand new. My question is how long does the motor usually stay good for? I try to pump 3-6 times a day and I have done so since my son was 2 months old. Is it good for years?

Thanks,
    zblessed mom

Default Re: How long does a pump last?

It depends. Pumps are like cars- often they are good for years, even without much maintenance. But often you need to replace some parts. And sometimes you just get a lemon.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. Stupid question, but is the main way to tell your motor is dying is by seeing a decrease in output?

I think sometimes it is hard to tell that they're losing power, but maybe having to use a higher setting all the time to get the same power is a sign, yes I think worse output is also a sign. There is a way to test suctioning, I don't know if you have any LCs around who would be able to help you out but I know they do that around here.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I called the Medela help line once and they helped me trouble shoot.

I have a friend who's pump is over 5 years old, and has been through at least 6 babies that I know of (3 or 4 moms), and it is still going strong. I think one of those babies was EP'd, too.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos