Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having problems

Default Having problems

Oh where to begin...

My daughter, Mirakel, is my first (and last) child. She was born at 30 weeks gestation and is now corrected to 2 1/2 weeks old. We came home from the hospitla 5 weeks ago today and things are going down hill instead of up.

She was showing slight signs of reflux in the holspital but it got much worse after coming home. She is now on zantac, compounded to not be mint, but that messed up her bowl movements (at least we think that's what did it). So the doc had us give her a tsp of mineral oil in a bottle and she finally pooped but she has had orange wattery stools ever since then (a week and a half). Then the doc said only give the zantac once a day to see if that helps. The only thing that occoplished was a misserable baby. Now we are back on the zantac twice a day but it dosn't seem to be working now! Also during all of that it was discoved that I had retained part of my placenta so I had to go in for a D&C. The anestisia used requiered me to pump and dump for 24 hours before breastfeeding Mirakel...luckly we had plenty of breast milk stored!

Ok so I also have Addison's Disease and my health has been steadly declining since Mirakel was born. I thought, once we discoved I had retainded placenta and had it removed, things would get better but they have continued to get worse. My doctor has increased my hydracortisone dose and I'm afraid it may be affecting Mirakel...so now what? I've always been a firm beiliver in breast is best but I'm not sure I can keep up. I also haven't been able to keep up on calories and am dropping wieght.

Any suggestion for any of my problems?

Default Re: Having problems

You sure are going through a lot. I am dealing with the reflux issues right now. My lo is on Zantac too. I don't really have any great insight but wanted to post my support for you.

I know we are all very pro breastfeeding on this site, but you really have to do what is best for you and your family. Some are going to hate that I say this, but if you have to end up going to formula for health reasons ... then you have to. My lact. consultant said that tests show getting just 4 oz of breastmilk a day still helps baby's immune system. So worst case, perhaps you can pump that much for lo. I know it isn't what you would want to do in an ideal situation, but you need to take care of yourself so you can be there for your lo. And under the circumstances you might have to look at other feeding options. Don't make a rash decision. Talk with your doctor and the pediatrician to get their input. They'll be able to tell you if you can bf with your medication.

I wish you all the best and hope that you're successful with your nursing (I know that's really what you want). But no matter what, remember you will make the best decision for your baby.

Default Re: Having problems

I have no advice for you as I have dealt with none of these problems, but know that we are all thinking of you, wishing you the best, and praying that things get better from all aspects.