Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who in your family knows??

Default Re: Who in your family knows??

"So my advice is: arm yourself with knowledge and don't hide!!! The more we're out there, the more people will realize the breastfeeding is not "icky" or "weird", just a wonderful, natural way to feed and nurture our babies."

Right on!! That's the truth. I am such a brat, the folks that criticize me the most are the ones that I want to talk about it with. I know I could keep it to myself but why? I am proud of us!! And, as the saying goes, if you can change just one mind... so on and so forth.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Red face Re: Who in your family knows??

I am also starting to get comments from family and friends
    Luckily my dh is right behind me and agrees that it the best for all of us He should, he has never got a disturbed night from our lo, Even though she is in the bed with us.
    I just keep on thinking to myself what I am doing is right and everyone else is wrong. I agree with several pp, that if you arm yourself with facts and a few good quotes from the WHO and UNICEF then you can't go wrong " Who are you to argue with the world health organisation!"
    Good luck
    Amanda

i will have to say it has been a lot easier with ds because i went through it with dd. I nursed her unitl she was almost 3, so she got us through the shock and awe part of it. Now everyone just thinks it is funny, kind of the joke of the family, which is good and kind of sad at the same time. Fortunatley I have dh's total support which is really all that matters to me. Of course dh is ready to have them back at any time

I have to admit that with my side, it's much easier because my mom was a LLL leader and we all weaned naturally so they all take it as a given. My step mom, sister in law (my brother's wife who ff both of her kids) and my in-laws on the other hand probably think I'm a little crazy but they know that we are still nursing and intend to wean naturally. Fortunately, they all have known me long enough to know that they aren't going to change my mind and are either supportive or keep their mouths shut, with the exception of my brother's wife who lives 2000 miles away and is afraid to fly so what she has to say has little bearing on how I live my life.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by Heamae View Post
    after a few weeks there is no more nutrition to it blah blah.
    Wow, that really shows how sad ignorance can be. Please know that there is a ton of research out there on the changing nutrition and immunulogical superiority out there. How does she think all of humankind lived before the 1940's?

I plan on nursing as long as he wants to, and I really don't give a flying flip what anyone says!!!! It's a personal decision and is no one else's business. It only benefits the child. I am a working mom, and my job is very supportive of it...it makes me a more dependable employee. I don't have to spend so much time at home with a sick baby. And you would think that grandparents would want their grandchild to be healthy. But some of them just come from the stone age. My parents happen to be very supportive of my decision to breastfeed. However I think my in-laws think it's a little weird. I breastfed my first child for 13 months. He is healthy and very smart. I applaud anyone who wants to do it for longer.

Thanks,
    Angela Mom to Dalton (five months and still breastfeeding) Davie (breastfed for 13 months) and wife to David (married for eight years)
    Last edited by Angela; October 31st, 2006 at 07:18 PM.

Smile Re: Who in your family knows??

My DS is 10 months and ebfing. My mom, brothers, sil, and nephews know, but I don't think my in-laws know. My husband has been deployed for 6 months and I think he thinks my DS is weaned. Hubby was never a supporter, so I don't really discuss it with him. MIL told me that I needed to wean after he got teeth, but DS has 5 teeth and we are still going strong. I can't wait to see the look on hubby's face when he finds out we still bf. I personally was bfed till I was 3, that's when my little brother was born and my mom didn't know she could bf both of us.

I really don't care who knows though, he is my son, we are the only ones who need to know. Everyone else can say what they want, but my DS and I enjoy our time together. Although I am debating night weaning because I am going back to work, I am going to let DS self-wean for daytime bfing.

i agree with the "arm yourself with knowledge" statements! that is what we need to do! btw, chadsmommy, i work, and i still bf at night, imho, i think it is easier! we cosleep, so i don't even really "wakeup". just my 2 cents...anyway, i know that my inlaws think it is weird that we still bf, and ds isn't even 1 year old yet...as i always say, he'll wean before college. although, i have heard one aunt in law make a comment that i do it now to be selfish ...hmmm... yeah , real selfish.. and she is the only aunt that actually tried to bf, she was encouraged by the other members of her family to "just let me give one bottle so you can sleep" . it seems to me that the more they push me to stop, the more i feel like i HAVE to continue.