Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who in your family knows??

Default Who in your family knows??

The closer to two that ODD gets the more comments I am getting from family that she should be weaned. Just wondering how many keep it a secret that you still nurse?? I cant hide it now as she nurses as much as YDD but I am hoping a day will come when she only nurses for nap and bed and only at home so family might start to think she is weaned and not bug me about it.
    So who in your family knows??

Default Re: Who in your family knows??

I don't have an answer, just struggle with the same question. I think it is so sad to be placed in this position...I am PROUD of the fact that we still nurse...it is such an important part of shapng this awesome little person....I also don't think I could keep it quite due to the fact it consummes so much of our day, and I am always touting the many benifits that we see from extendbf, Goodluck

~My best response to date is that I hope to have him weaned before he goes to prom!...they usually just laugh it off then or stare at me blankly....but at least they leave us alone.

he he he my dd is 3 and I think my mom assumes but doesn't ask any more and my mil would be mortified if she found out oh well.....

I have made those comments.MIL is always joking with me that she will be calling from college asking for memes!! I'm just not sure wheather or not I should start hiding it. I dont want her to hear others talking bad about her nursing.

My daughter is 8 months- everyone in my family knows I still nurse her, and a few friends too. They're all very supportive(sis still nursing her 2 yr old) However, there are people that we "know" that would be totally freaked by the idea that I am still nursing. My husband's boss, who is a woman, and also a friend, once made the comment that she thought nursing babies over a few months was rather icky- this was when my son was about 2-so, I just don't talk to her about it, although I'm not ashamed, I just don't feel like I should have to defend it either. I will nurse my daughter around anyone, discreetly, if she needs it, so I'm sure that I'll get "the look" eventually from someone, since I have no plan to wean anytime soon-she's my last baby, so I want to BF as long as she wants it really.

It's funny that you bring this up. Before DD was born, I said to myself that I wanted to BF for at least 6 months, knowing that I would be going back to work after 3 months and that pumping may be a challenge. Next thing I know, my DD is 15 months old and we are still nursing strong. Only about 3 times a day now, but still NIP every once in a while when she feels the need. It's funny b/c I have personally become my own little lactivist, rabidly defending and espousing the benefits of bf to anyone who will listen. My own family strongly supports BF as long as needed (my brother and I were both nursed well past a year) but my in-laws live in the stone-age and think formular is "easier and better". Don't believe in AP either. So I just fill my brain with facts and knowledge about the benefits of AP and Bf and spout them off any chance I get (yes, I'm the obnoxious in-law) I just can't stand ignorance so I don't bother to hold my tongue. So my advice is: arm yourself with knowledge and don't hide!!! The more we're out there, the more people will realize the breastfeeding is not "icky" or "weird", just a wonderful, natural way to feed and nurture our babies.

I am really bad about sticking up for it in the moment. When ODD was 2mo I told sil and bil that I planned on nusring for at least a year and she started to say she would kick my butt if I nursed over a year, after a few weeks there is no more nutrition to it blah blah. I started to argue back about it but bil chimed in that thats what she went to school for and she knows what she is talking about. I just shut up about it b/c I couldnt think on the spot of what else to say. When I got home I thought of a million things to say about it but too late. I just dont talk to her about it any more. Oh and the school thing was just bull, she never went to school for anything and is just a child care worker. (not that thats bad but she has lied a lot about being a supivsor and such)

Everyone in my family knows, it kinda makes it easier due to my sis's daughte is 7 weeks older than my DD and still nursing. My DD is a year and my sis's DD is 14 months. We both plan to nurse till they self wean. Now the in-laws, it depends on who it is. It's not a usual conversation that comes up, so they don't ask, I don't tell (kinda like the army, Ha Ha Ha ) If it did come up, it's my child.....

My daughter will be 2 next month...wow! My mom knows and is very supportive, she nursed me until I was 3.5-4 years old I nursed in front of her all the time, she has made several comments on how great it is that I am still nursing. My dad knows, and is totally cool with it. My aunt (also a long term nurser), knows.

I don't talk to my sister or any in-laws about it, that are all totally against it. My MIL especially, she once threw away my expressed breast milk when DD was left in her care.

he he, i am in the process of gently weaning my dd - she is 14 months - and only my husband and my dd of course, knows at this point. I'm not good with critisim!