Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: baby taking 20 oz formula per day--help!

Default baby taking 20 oz formula per day--help!

I had very bad clogged ducts--they are now unclogged but my milk supply dropped significantly and I had to supplement with formula. I tried to follow this good advice to increase my milk supply:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

I first breastfeed, then give him formula, but I can't sustain this much longer as the baby often doesn't want the bottle after breastfeeding or doesn't want the breast after bottlefeeding. He's still taking 20 oz a day and I'm only producing about 1 oz per feeding. And he still seems hungry after the feedings.

I also take Mother's Milk Tea.

I'd like to at least try to breastfeed him a few times a day. Do you think I should try to breastfeed him just in the night/morning now and see if that works? I'd be sad to give up breastfeeding altogether.

Baby is 11 weeks old. Any advice is appreciated!!

Default Re: baby taking 20 oz formula per day--help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gradstud View Post
    I first breastfeed, then give him formula, but I can't sustain this much longer as the baby often doesn't want the bottle after breastfeeding or doesn't want the breast after bottlefeeding. He's still taking 20 oz a day and I'm only producing about 1 oz per feeding. And he still seems hungry after the feedings.

If he doesn't want the bottle after breastfeeding, that's good, right? Put the baby on the breast first, every time, and then just top off with formula only if baby is clearly still hungry.

What about taking your baby to bed with you and nursing through the night, no bottles?

It's hard, but the only way to decrease formula and increase supply is to nurse, all the time, and only offer bottles when absolutely necessary. At eleven weeks, it's hard to nurse just a couple times a day - your supply will suffer and eventually dwindle. (You can often do this later, after you start solids, with less repercussions, but at eleven weeks, your supply is not well established yet.)

Are you pumping every time your baby gets a bottle? Adding pumping sessions after every nursing session will increase your supply as well.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Here is a great resource for weaning off formula supplements while increasing your milk supply. Check this link out and let us know what you think or if you have any questions about it.

You can do this!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

the baby often doesn't want the bottle after breastfeeding or doesn't want the breast after bottlefeeding.
    Wait, that sounds pretty good! If baby doesn't want the bottle after nursing, that should indicate that he doesn't need the bottle after nursing. I'm with the PP- just nurse first, and then top off with formula (or, preferably, expressed milk). And if the baby won't take the formula/milk, don't sweat it: just watch his diaper output.

I'm also that at just 11 weeks, trying to nurse just a couple times a day would not be optimal. There's good reason to think that you would risk being unable to maintain any significant supply, and good reason to think that your baby might decide that given the low supply, why nurse when he could just get a bottle? So if you can hang in there a while longer, I would certainly do it!

Here are some links that may be useful to you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/weaning-partial.html (this one covers combination feeding and partial weaning, much more positively than I did )
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for the comments and links--I guess I feel nervous that the baby isn't eating enough when he refuses the bottle because he still makes lots of hunger signs (sticking out tongue, waving arms around, being fussy). His diaper count seems OK though. I'll try to stick with it!

Put him back on the breast as soon as he starts making the hunger signs again. Since you are feeding him the majority of his intake from formula right now though, follow that link that was provided above to wean him off the formula.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Also think about babywearing to help alleviate fussiness.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Yes if you're topping off with formula you should also pump after each feeding to stimulate more milk production.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

thanks all--do you know anyone who has successfully weaned off this much formula? i need to believe it can be done because it looks a bit impossible right now--we don't seem to be getting anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gradstud View Post
    thanks all--do you know anyone who has successfully weaned off this much formula? i need to believe it can be done because it looks a bit impossible right now--we don't seem to be getting anywhere!
    i just got DD off formula. she was taking about the same as your babe (20+ oz). i'm not going to lie, it's been a long and frustrating road, but well worth it! of course, i have other issues (see signature) that made it more difficult. but you CAN do it! offer the breast at every opportunity and absolutely follow the link about weaning off formula. you may have to stay at one phase longer than it suggests, but the thoery works. it took me since sept to get a full supply, i'm confident that you can do it in a much shorter timeframe! best of luck!
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!