Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: On demand? There is no demand!

Default On demand? There is no demand!

Hey there. I have a three week old little wonderful girl. Breastfeeding has been going well, I think (I just never know!). She was born at 8#, left the hospital at 7#7oz and at her two week checkup weighed 9#6oz. So I guess it is going well?

My concerns are that she is a VERY heavy sleeper during the day. Like won't wake up for anything. I strip her down at each feeding (that I had to initiate) and burp her 6 or 7 minutes in because she spits up and then she's passed back out and won't take either breast! And I do change her diaper during this time--still nothing. She will usually sleep until the next feeding (I'm doing three hours during the day and 2.5 in the evenings). She doesn't mess around at the breast, even though she's sleeping she is definitely eating. I feel like the cold washcloth thing is torturous? Im worried that this eat for a few minutes at a time is zapping my supply?

Then at night, the girl who demands nothing during the day is up every 1.5 to 3 hours to feed and sometimes wants to hang out. I dont have to torture her to open her eyes, she opens them voluntarily! I know the rules about feed, change, and back to bed, which usually works, but then she's back up. How can I get her demand up for the day? Should I worry about it this soon? Im just worried about my supply mostly (and a little about her mixed up days and nights) and Ive read her that my supply will match her demand, but like I said, there isnt much of a demand. And she has one large poop a day and then several smaller ones throughout the day and pees plenty. So...I dunno

Bfeeding is just new to me...I EP'ed with my last daughter so this is totally new to me. And these five minute feedings are really messing with me. We were doing an hour at a time and she would take both, so these short snacks are new the last three days or so. My tatas are all dressed up with nowhere to go lol. Thanks in advance for any advice/encouragement.

Default Re: On demand? There is no demand!

I am also new to BF, my LO is 8 weeks old and he is my first - and my nipples are still sore too. You are not alone I just EP'd for 3 days to see if it would help them heal, and I'm going to try to nurse again starting tonight.

I posted something similar in the sleeping forum - it seemed like DS had his days and nights mixed up. Someone suggested not only making a nighttime routine - to signal that it is night (which it sounds like you are doing), but to make a daytime routine too. So in the morning, when it's time to wake up - talk to baby, change baby into clothes, open the curtains, etc. Also someone suggested to make it apparent to baby that it is daytime throughout the day - go outside, take a walk, don't close the curtains for a nap, etc. This way baby understands that there IS a time for eyes to be open and alert.

I tried it - and it really worked great for us. DS is SO cute in the morning - the first time I talk to him & coo at him when I bring him downstairs (I also do his morning feeding downstairs, instead of in the bedroom) he is so happy that it's time to talk - I get nothing but smiles! Now he gears up when it's getting later in the day, eating a lot - and at night when he wakes to nurse, it's usually only about 5-10 minutes and he's back asleep for 2 hours.

Anyway - I hope it helps! Even though DS doesn't sleep longer than 3.5 hour stretch at night yet (I still don't get that 4-5 hour stretch I hear so much about!) - it makes a HUGE difference that he at least realizes that when he does wake up, it's eat and sleep again.

with the PP. Sounds like your baby is reverse cycling: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

Otherwise it sounds like everything is going great! Baby's gaining weight nicely and has adequate diaper output. Keep on keepin' on, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We were doing well! She will be a month old tomorrow but today she's only eaten maybe five to seven minutes per feeding and still sleeping in between. I'm concerned about my supply? My breasts don't seem full anymore, just kind of normal? I'm going to move to 2.5 hours this evening. She also doesn't seem to like the softness of my breasts? I take her off after five minutes (she's a happy spitter) and when we're done doing that my nipples are kind of...not hard anymore I guess and she makes faces and won't latch. What's up with that? Pee output is good. Has had several... yellow skidmarks (sorry) today.

How much does your lo weigh now?

Have you tried feeding more frequently during the day?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.