Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poopin while eating...normal???

Default Poopin while eating...normal???

Now ive been told that breast milk acts like a laxitive so that could explain this, but, almost everytime my LO is at the breast eating, she starts pushing and has either a good full poop or a little 'shart'. I dont find it as an problem, just want to know if anyone else has this issue

Default Re: Poopin while eating...normal???

I kinda figured that . I just find it funny because shes will be eating and then she turns red and all I hear is a grunt followed by a warm diaper bottom lol

We were changing atleast 7 diapers per hour because of the pooping while eating. So now I wait till shes done eating, give her another 20 mins so she can finish her poop, then I change her. And the whole time all I see is a big smile from my LO as I wipe her bottom

Oh yeah! That's one of the things that makes it so hard to go anywhere the first few months. You get all dressed, get baby ready, change her diaper, and by the time you're ready she needs to nurse again. So you sit down to feed her one last time before you go, and of course she poops while she's nursing, so then you have to change her diaper again, and maybe her clothes too, and maybe yours, and... somehow before you can make it to the door it's time to nurse again. Repeat.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

I think sucking is just so relaxing for babies that it makes it easy for them to go to the bathroom. Their little digestive systems aren't quite developed yet, so anything to make it a little easier! My little guy (8 weeks) almost always gets his big ones out while he's eating...and if he is fussy/gassy/grunting but not hungry, I'll let him suck on my finger (now he started sucking on his fists) or on a pacifier. He'll take 4 or 5 vigorous sucks and then fart.

My husband and dog still can't believe it - it's really funny. My dog (boxer) will turn her head sideways and raise her ears...
    Last edited by @llli*jennygal; December 23rd, 2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: change wording

yep. My 11 month old still comes to me and nurses when he needs to poop.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

My mom says I pooped every.single.time.I.nursed ever. DD almost always poops right as she is falling asleep for morning nap because I nurse her down - she is almost 15 months.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

My LO is about 9 weeks. For the first 8 weeks, he pooped 8 or 9 times per day. He was slow to gain weight at first but he gradually gained and had plenty of wet and poopy diapers. In the last month, he gained a good 2 lbs. 5 oz. and he seems to be growing leaps and bounds in the past week. However, we notice that in the last week, he pees ALOT but is rarely pooping anymore. He maybe has one BM per day now. Should I be concerned?? I called the triage nurse and she said that it was okay for a baby to go without pooping for 5-6 days. That doesn't sound right to me. Can it be?

~ Kelly

totally normal for a breastfed baby over about a month or so to poop anywhere from 12 times a day to once a week. It sounds insane and abnormal, but it really is true. I cannot tell you how long it took me to believe that.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Great. Thanks for the info. I guess I have nothing to worry about there...