Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: She pulls away while eating to cry...help!!

Unhappy She pulls away while eating to cry...help!!

My little one is 2 1/2 weeks old and loooooves the boobie, but durning some feedings she starts fuss and starts crying. She is hungry because she starts to suck on her hand when shes looking for the nipple again. Not only does she delatch and spill milk everywhere, but she just starts to play around with nipple. It gets to the point where I want to start crying along with her

Default Re: She pulls away while eating to cry...help!!

She may not actually be hungry but rather looking for comfort. That's why she gets mad when the milk starts, because she just wants to suck. Or if it's at the beginning of a feeding you may have a forceful letdown and she can't keep up. Is she choking at all? Does this happen when you have a letdown?

Thats what I though too, so I started to use a pacifer to help with comforting her, which she likes for the most part. She spits it out when shes done with it . The choking and spitting up I know has to do with my strong letdown at the beginning of the feeding. So ive started to pump just a little less and an ounce right before she latches on.

My 4 day old son is doing something similar, but he'll also fall asleep nursing and then not wake up easily to continue. Once he's slept a whole half hour, he wants to nurse again, but only for about 10 minutes, then he's asleep again and the cycle repeats. I gave him my pinkie to suck on and he went all happy. I am wondering if a pacifier is a good idea, but I've heard about nipple confusion and such... and would like to avoid it if it's a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sophiasmommie View Post
    Thats what I though too, so I started to use a pacifer to help with comforting her, which she likes for the most part. She spits it out when shes done with it . The choking and spitting up I know has to do with my strong letdown at the beginning of the feeding. So ive started to pump just a little less and an ounce right before she latches on.
    LOL I know how that is, my son is very good at showing me exactly how much he hates his bink Has pumping a little helped at all?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*terrilyn View Post
    My 4 day old son is doing something similar, but he'll also fall asleep nursing and then not wake up easily to continue. Once he's slept a whole half hour, he wants to nurse again, but only for about 10 minutes, then he's asleep again and the cycle repeats. I gave him my pinkie to suck on and he went all happy. I am wondering if a pacifier is a good idea, but I've heard about nipple confusion and such... and would like to avoid it if it's a real problem.
    I personally would not give my son a bink until he was a good strong nurser, ofter he was two weeks old because I was afraid of nipple confusion too. The kind of sucking is different and it can make them a less effective nurser, at least that's what i've read Turns out he doesn't like binkys and will only suck on it for a short time. Your baby is sooo young he is still learning how to nurse as are you, and if your milk hasn't fully come in he is only getting a small amount of colostrum at a time, so he snacks then sleeps. I had the same problem with the sleepy baby, (he was jaundiced)

Pumping when im full to the max has helped a little. There are times when my breast feel like theyre empty and she still fusses, cries and pulls away. Im just learning to deal with it. As far as her pacifer or "fire" as my 3 year old niece says, I gave it to her a few days ago and it works when shes fussy but isnt hungry.

My little one had jaundice after 2 days after birth because she wasnt sucking hard enough so my LC had me pump and sure enough that got my supply in fast. Now I make so much, even when shes sleeping, that ive started to freeze it. This way itll be easier when I go back to work.