Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shaking head when given bottle

Default Shaking head when given bottle

So glad to have found this forum! I'm also looking forward to my first LL meeting on 1/7 for some advice and support.

My daughter is 12 days old and we are now trying to introduce a bottle. I want my husband to help with a feeding a day and my mom is eager to give us a date night (much needed).

When I offer her the bottle, she tries to suck and then shakes her head back and forth and starts wailing. This is at her normal feeding time (she eats about every 1.5 hours). We've tried Avent and now Breastflow. Why is she so frantic if she's hungry? Should I try feeding her before the 1.5 hour mark?

Default Re: Shaking head when given bottle

It's usually not recommended to give a bottle before 4 to 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. That being said, babies have an excellent sense of smell and your Lo probably smells you and knows the real thing is right there. You could try leaving the house, take a quick walk or something while you mom or husband offer the bottle. Also, babies that young are extremely portable. I can't tell you how many times my Dh and I went to dinner while our ds snoozed away in his carrier.
    Hi, I'm Faith, a Wife, Mom, Stepmom and SAHM
    I married my best friend Rodney on October 17, 2009
    DS1 Andy Born May 11, 2002
    DS2 Ethan Born May 18, 2009 Nursed 2 years 7 months & 2 days
    DSS1 Benjamin Born September 24, 1989

Default Re: Shaking head when given bottle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*faith511518 View Post
    It's usually not recommended to give a bottle before 4 to 6 weeks to avoid nipple confusion. That being said, babies have an excellent sense of smell and your Lo probably smells you and knows the real thing is right there. You could try leaving the house, take a quick walk or something while you mom or husband offer the bottle. Also, babies that young are extremely portable. I can't tell you how many times my Dh and I went to dinner while our ds snoozed away in his carrier.
    Agreed, it is WAAAAAY too early to try to introduce a bottle. Your baby prefers YOU and that is awesome! Read thru the posts here, most of the bottle and nursing moms here have issues getting baby back to breast once they like the bottle. Dont create a problem that dosent exist!!!

I think that you will get great info anf advice at the LLL meeting next month. I know it may seem like forever, but your baby is a newborn and needs YOu right now more then anything! Hang in there and put the bottle aside for a while, you are doing GREAT!!!!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK