Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh DH hurt my feelings a lil

Default Ugh DH hurt my feelings a lil

He made the somment the other night that he didn't want me bfing in public(in front of family too) because it's embarrases him. WHAT?! I told him that it hurt my feelings and that I wasn't in a hurry to stop and he said he didn't mind if nobody else was around. REALLY!? How would you handle this? We have family coming to our home for Christmas Eve and if it gets into the evening she will want to nini and I don't want to go to another room. LO is 15 months right now. She nurses mostly at night especially right now I think it's because she has a bunch of teeth coming in. I am a stay at home momma so I am available all day.
    I serve an awsome God!!

Bailee 9y

JW 6y

Liberty 3y
    Ethaniel

Default Re: Ugh DH hurt my feelings a lil

I would continue to do it, it's not really something I care to negotiate really...my child needs to eat and there is nothing indecent about it.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I would continue to do it, it's not really something I care to negotiate really...my child needs to eat and there is nothing indecent about it.

If he feels uncomfortable by it, then maybe he should be the one to leave the room.
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post

It's not up to him to mind or not.
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Its what is best for your child. You are doing everything right!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*MommyToAC View Post
    If he feels uncomfortable by it, then maybe he should be the one to leave the room.
    Well said!

However, is there a family member who in particular leads him to feel embarrassed? Like, maybe Uncle Ike is just a big old jack@ss and can't keep from staring, or your MIL can't help making a nasty comment about how it's time to wean, and that's what makes your DH feel uncomfortable? If it were a one-time, just-for-the-holidays deal, I might cover up just to preserve family harmony. I mean, the holidays are stressful enough...

But in general: your house, your breasts, your rules!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I would consider changing my behaviors slightly around creepy old uncle-whoever, but that doesn't mean never nursing in public again. Have you asked him to elaborate about what, exactly, embarrasses him, and where, and in front of whom? Maybe he has reasons you're not aware of?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Your DH should be your biggest supporter.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

ugh, so frustrating....I would ask him what about nursing is embarassing him.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

sorry that you're going through this, the holidays are often a tricky time of year. I agree with the principle of it. It's a loving thing though to be considerate of our spouse's feelings, which are by definition not logical.

Isn't there a bunch a major institutions who reccommend bfing past the age of one? The American Pedi, UNICEF, WHO, the British Pedi... is there anyone who knows this stuff? Perhaps pointing out those policies will help your DH support you.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?