Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poor weight gain/length in 15 month old

Default poor weight gain/length in 15 month old

So...I have been worried for some time about my daughter and nursing. She is 15 months and only weighs 20 pounds 6 ounces. Not terrible, but not great. At her 12 month visit she as 19 pounds 2 ounces. She did not gain any height from 12-15 month visit. Ped has never been concerned until this visit. Her diapers are just not wet like they used to be. I know that solids are becoming a more important part of her diet, but she does not do great with those. I really would love to pump wean, but am a nurse and work 12 hour shifts and feel like my supply would be even worse. When I pump, I do it once and get about 3 oz. total for the 12 hours I am there. I am thinking my dd gets about 8-10 oz. of breastmilk from her 4 nursing sessions. There is no way she gets 16 oz of milk from these nursing sessions and is suggested. I have weighed her diapers and at most her 24 hour period of diapers was 10 oz. That was on a day with no water in her sippy. We do not do juice. Maybe I should for calorie sake? I try to sneak in butter with veggies etc. and give high fat foods avocados etc. I have tried to add in others nursing sessions, but she just is not interested. I have only given her a bit of cows milk while I am at work and she drinks about 8-10 oz. total while I am away. My concerns are is she getting enough? She is tiny!! We were in the 50%tile until her 9 month visit and keep dropping fast. I am wondering if I should try and give her some cows milk if she will take it to help her get more. She eats some cheese and yogurt and is a typical toddler, sometimes she eats and sometimes she doesn't. I am trying to let her self wean as this is very important, but not at the cost of her health. Any advice?

Default Re: poor weight gain/length in 15 month old

she sounds ok...my DD is almost 21 months and is 20 lbs. She is seen by a dietician to increase her weight cause she is way below the charts and has been since 12 months (before that she was always on the charts). ANYHOW, I know how stressing it can be for your baby to be on the small side. I worry medically, not that her size is tiny, but that she is healthy. As long as you offer healthy foods, fatty foods, etc...Cows milk has less fat then breastmilk, so I dont think that offering cows milk will add any fat or cals to your babys diet.

what do the pedis say? DD has had blood tests to check for any underlying issues, which thankfully there are none, she is just tiny!

Keep feeding and offering fatty and high cal foods, and good luck!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

I wouldn't wean her over this. Do you think that she didn't gain any height in those three months? Are all her clothes fitting her the same? Those height measurements are not very accurate when you have a squirrely toddler laying on a table. How were her head circumferance measurements?

I think that's quite a bit to gain in 3 months at that age - that's over a pound. My daughter gained maybe 2 pounds from 12 to 24 months. The pediatrician wasn't worried.

Why don't you think that your daughter is getting 16 oz of milk from you when she nurses those 4 times? She's more effective than the pump - you're pumping out 3 oz at a time, so she could easily be getting 4 oz or more.

Giving her cow's milk is up to you, but I don't understand how that gets her to eat more solids. Or gain more weight. Likely it will simply replace breast milk in her diet. My daughter had cow's milk starting around 14 months and really likes it... and upped her intake of cow's milk as my milk went away due to pregnancy.

It's pretty normal for baby to drop percentiles when they start getting mobile. Maybe I've never worried about my daughter's weight because she has always been tiny, but I think it's weird that it's considered to be a problem to be at 5% on the growth scale, but not at 95%.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Giving her cow's milk is up to you, but I don't understand how that gets her to eat more solids. Or gain more weight. Likely it will simply replace breast milk in her diet.
    A lot of times moms feel or are told that if they wean their babies are magically going to start packing on the pounds, and I have no idea why that would happen. All you'd be doing is taking away the one really reliable source of calories your kid is getting!

If you check out this chart for breastfed baby girls, it looks like your LO was just under the 5oth %ile at 12 months. Now, the chart stops at 21 months, but if you kind of follow the curve with your eye, I think she's still about at the same %ile at 15 months as she was at 12. Not problematic in any way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

also agree that measuring the baby laying down isnt accurate. I have had issues with them adding inches...literally, onto DD when laying down. The dietician told me she HATES when the nurses measure this way, they are always under or over measuring. When we then stood DD up and measuerd her, she was a full TWO inches smaller. That is a huge difference!!!

Maybe at one of her measurements they were off a bit, and now it seems she hasnt grown any.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK