Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gas help

Default Gas help

My daughter is 1.5 weeks old and we're having lots of issues with gas. I only breastfeed (sometimes supplement with my BM by bottle). She eats and then falls asleep but almost always wakes herself and fusses forever due to gas. She makes terrible faces and looks so uncomfortable. I've tried Mylicon drops (didn't help at all) and bicycle kicks (doesn't really help). We bought grip water and then my pediatrician said that's on the "no" list.

I also notice the gas is worst when I try to move her from my lap (where she falls sleep easily) to the Boppy. About a minute after I move her, she's squirming, looking uncomfortable, and screaming. I need to be able to move her sometimes to get some things done! My husband is home now to hold her, but he goes back to work on Monday and then it's just me.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Gas help

does she burp after every feeding? If its hard to get her to burp, you can try putting her up on your shoulder while sleeping and just keep here there till it happens.
    I'm curious to know why gripe water was on the no list? You can get it without alcohol these days. I suppose not everyone agrees with its use. I did use it a lot with DS1. DS2 always spat it out.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

I'm not sure why it's on the no list. So many people had recommended it to me.

She doesn't usually burp after a feeding. I can try keeping her on my shoulder.

she is too little to burp herself. Even if she is sleeping, get her upright until you hear that belch!
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

http://www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant..._treatment.htm

This site may have some answers for you. My son was also very gassy, and a poor burper. I read that they won't burp when they are asleep because they are too relaxed. Not sure how true it is, but I cannot burp my son when he is sleeping so there must be some truth to it. Also I have to pat his back pretty hard to get the burps out. Have you tried several positions that put pressure on her tummy?

Do you think it's a swallowed air issue? Like do you have an over active letdown maybe? Cause if not, she may have some dairy or other food issues.

That said, I still haven't resolved all of my sons gas issues, but I do use gripe water, I've never heard anything bad about it but I guess I havent really searched it, I just know that the ingredients are all natural, and there is no alcohol it mine. But I did find that searching for a burping position that worked for him helped.