Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taking Fenugreek AND Blessed Thistle

Default Taking Fenugreek AND Blessed Thistle

I was taking 4 capsules of Fenugreek three times a day (after advice from a LC) and thought I would throw Blessed Thistle into the mix and see if it helps more. Just wondering how many people would suggest taking? The bottle says 2 three times a day, but it said that on the Fenugreek too and I'm taking more.

Also, is there anything out there that is more potent? I was taking 12 Fenugreek a day, and that really adds up.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Taking Fenugreek AND Blessed Thistle

I am also struggling with low supply. I recently found www.motherlove.com. They are a natural/organic company and sell many breastfeeding products including a supplement called more milk plus. It comes in several forms including capsules. It is made of both fenugreek and blessed thistle and a couple other things. You take 1 capsule 4 times a day or if you are pleasantly plump like me 2 capsules 3 times a day. 60 capsules was about $30 total. It might be about the same cost as both but I would rather take less pills. I just started taking it yesterday so I haven't seen any results yet but I will let you know! Good luck!

Mom to Mark (preemie 2005) 3 months and Mallory (5/5/10) 5 1/2 months 2 months

There is also an advertisement for motherlove on this website!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    Also, is there anything out there that is more potent? I was taking 12 Fenugreek a day, and that really adds up.
    I suggest using fenugreek seed, available online or in the "ethnic foods" area of your grocery store. Look for "methi" or "hilbeh." The seed is much fresher and MUCH cheaper than the ground-up stuff that comes in the pills.

If you are having real supply troubles, there are prescription dugs which can boost supply (Reglan and Domperidone). Speak to your doc or midwife before taking either one- both have additional side-effects and are not good choices for all moms. And while supplements and drugs can be useful, there's no substitute for frequent and complete milk removal, so nurse or pump as much as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the help! I honestly never noticed the ad. . .I guess we get so accustomed to tuning them out online.

I'll look into it, and ask about it at my appt this week Definitely will see about the fenugreek seed, because I'm already through half the bottle I bought last week. When I find it, do I just eat it? How much? Sorry if I sound silly lol.

When I find it, do I just eat it? How much? Sorry if I sound silly lol.
    Not silly at all.

You can eat it- just swallow a teaspoon of it 1-2 times a day, or put a teaspoon of it in hot water, drink the tea, and swallow the softened seeds. You want to make sure your pee and sweat smells like maple syrup- when it does, you're taking enough.

Here's one way to get the seed: http://www.amazon.com/Methi-Fenugree.../dp/B000OZFET8 (5 lbs for $18- I bet you paid about that much for bottle weighing under a lb. Am I right?)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Smile Re: Taking Fenugreek AND Blessed Thistle

I was taking 4 capsules of Fenugreek three times a day (after advice from a LC) and thought I would throw Blessed Thistle into the mix and see if it helps more. Just wondering how many people would suggest taking? The bottle says 2 three times a day, but it said that on the Fenugreek too and I'm taking more.

Thanks so much!
    Honestly, I took 3 pills of each, together, 3 times a day, and saw DRASTIC improvement!!
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Not silly at all.

You can eat it- just swallow a teaspoon of it 1-2 times a day, or put a teaspoon of it in hot water, drink the tea, and swallow the softened seeds. You want to make sure your pee and sweat smells like maple syrup- when it does, you're taking enough.

Here's one way to get the seed: http://www.amazon.com/Methi-Fenugree.../dp/B000OZFET8 (5 lbs for $18- I bet you paid about that much for bottle weighing under a lb. Am I right?)
    Thanks for the tip and link! I too am needing to increase my supply. Particularly her dinner hour..seems low when I need her to be full for bedtime! I take the fenu pills..but 6 a day does not seem to do much. I saw there was a 7oz bag..for $3.48. But the one you linked seemed like a better deal...gotta get out the calculator.
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

You can check out my recent blog post--I wrote all about my experience with blessed thistle and fenugreek!

Good luck!
    Exclusive , ,Christian mommy!
    Bloggin' Mommy