Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to heal a hole?

Default How to heal a hole?

Hi! I'm new here. I'm nursing my second child, and up until now I haven't had any problems. But I've been searching the internet and I can't find anything that helps, so I'm bringing my question to you ladies.

A couple months ago, my son (he's almost 9 months right now) bit me and his tooth cut my nipple open so that I had a hole the size of his tooth. I stopped nursing on that side for a few days until it healed, and all was well again.

He hasn't bitten me since, so the biting isn't a problem. But every few weeks the hole works its way back open and I have to go through the process of not nursing on that side until it heals again. It's open again now, and this time it's even bigger than it has ever been. I've stopped nursing that side, and it's feeling better, although not healed yet.

So my questions are:

Should I wait even longer to nurse that side again to see if it "really" heals?

Both my husband and my sister say to just stop nursing that side completely, but that makes me feel sad because it feel like I'm weaning my son, even though I wouldn't be. Should I stop nursing that side completely, and if so, is it really as bad as I feel it would be?

Is there anything I can do (besides making sure he's latched on correctly from the start of each nursing and making sure he doesn't pull his head back when he's tired, etc.) to keep the wound from opening up again?

Thanks so much! I appreciate any help I can get.

Carrie

Default Re: How to heal a hole?

Have you tried a totally different position on that side for a while? Are you pumping while give that side a rest?

You don't have to quit nursing on that side. All the questions today so far I have not had to deal with.... yet. I have read you can use neosporin on your nipples. Do it just after nursing and then clean off before. Maybe that would help. Good luck.

I've tried different positions, but I haven't tried a "completely different" position. The only thing that I can think of that would rearange things completely is the football hold, which I've never been succesful at. But if it will help, I'll give it my best. Should I wait until I'm healed, or should I try it today?

Yes, I've been pumping while resting that side. The first time this happened I was so afraid that my supply would go down that I overpumped. This time, since he's not nursing as often anyway, I'm only pumping before I go to bed and when I get up.

I've been using neosporin religiously, because I want it to heal as quick as possible.

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

OUCH!! That sounds TERRIBLY painful!! That's BEYOND a cracked nipple!!

Even if it comes down to only being on one side, don't look at it as weaning whatsoever. I know lots of moms, especially with older babies/toddlers who have been only nursing on one side for many, many months, and the breast is totally able to keep up with supply.

My DD has done that to me twice. Once when she was 7 months and again when she was 10 months. The first time was on the right side the second was on my left side. So each of my girls (breasts) had a turn. It hurt really bad to nurse on the side with the hole. They also got *****. I know, GROSS! The first time she bit me didn't last long so I continued to nurse. This time she kept biting me for two weeks and still does sometimes so I began to pump. I still nurse her but if she bites me she gets a bottle the next time and until it heals. I just let the hole heal on its own.

Okay, I tried the football hold while I was getting him down for a nap, and it didn't hurt a bit! I'll try that for a few days and see if it helps it to heal.

The funny thing is that when it first happened, I didn't really notice it right away. I just knew that my nipple was sore, and I thought it might be a clogged duct. I looked at it a few times, didn't notice the hole, and I figured if it was a clogged duct I'd have to nurse, nurse, nurse! Finally I was complaining about the pain and my husband took a look at it. "Did you know that there's a hole here?" Hhhmm...so that would explain why it hurts to nurse!

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help and support. I'll keep going with the football hold and hopefully everything will heal well and we'll be nursing "normal" again soon!

Thanks, Carrie

Glad to hear that the football hold is working with the pain. Hope you get healed soon.