Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: night from hell!!!

Default night from hell!!!

omg...we had the worst night last night! My LO was a little fussy most of the afternoon...but by 8 last night, things got even worse. He screamed and cried from 8 pm until 3:30 am, with little catnaps lasting no more then 15 or 20 minutes each. He was obviously in discomfort...curling up in a ball with his knees drawn up, and then shooting his legs straight out while screaming...every once in a while he would pass explosive gass, but no poops, even though it really seemed like he was trying to have a bm. For the life of me, I cant think of anything I ate to cause this. In fact I barely ate at all yesterday. The only way to soothe him was to put him to the breast, but then he would seem even worse afterward! I am so exhausted and dreading another day and night like yesterday. I felt so ineffective and helpless. This is my 3rd and both my dd's had colic, so I dont get flustered easily...but by 1 a.m, I was bawling right along with him...could he give himself a hernia with all that strenuous crying?? Anyone have any ideas about what may have happened to him last night, and what to do if it happens again? I found myself almost running for the phone to call his pediatrician...till I realized most of the rest of the world would be sleeping!

Default Re: night from hell!!!

Oh, I'm really feeling for you! Was this out of the ordinary? Maybe try calling the ped today? It seems like it might be a gas problem, don't you think? What have you tried to work out the gas?
    Sorry so many questions, just trying to think of ways to help you figure out what's up. Hope you are able to get some sleep today!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I am so sorry you had such a rough night. It's hard when you are tired and you are dealing with an uncomfortable lo. Poor Mama and baby.

I am not sure what to do about the gas. Maybe you could try bicycling his legs, messaging belly, or carrying him over your arms belly down. My DD loved this position when she was newborn. Also a carrier might help. There is something newborns love about that suspended feeling.

Also before bed, you could try a warm, warm bath. If the cord has not fallen off yet, just submerge him up to the sides of the belly and let him sit for a while if he will. And if you think it might be constipation, try some anal stimulation by giving a rectal temp. I know that's terrible, but it is sometimes the only thing that works for my DD. I use a little KY jelly or vaseline and you only stick the very tip in, just the metal tip.

I don't know if eating very little could effect the milk or not, but I would think it might make it less thick; more like the foremilk, which can give los gas. I really have no idea if that's accurate, but try snacking quite a bit during the day. I know it's hard with a newborn and other kids, but it's very important for your well being to make sure you are getting enough to eat.

Good luck and try to get some sleep while DS does.

You know, this brings back a night when my DD was about a month old-I had drunk a lot of orange juice during the day- that night, she was screaming, nursing and vomiting every time she nursed-it was really awful. I'm fairly certain it was the OJ, but who knows. How does he seem this morning? If he still seems uncomfy, then I'd probably call the ped. Hope you're both getting some sleep now!!!!

well that's kind of interesting...i did drink o.j yesterday...nat all day long, but I had 3 glasses. So far he's been sleeping all morning...he's exhausted. He's still passing gass, but thankfully he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort anymore.

that's so odd that you had OJ too!!! If I remember correctly, I had a bout 4 glasses that day-just was tasting really great. See how he does today and tonight, don't drink the OJ, and see if he's still fussy.

I have read citrus drinks and fruits are something you might want to avoid.
    Hopefully that was it and you'll have learned what not to do.

So sorry to hear about your long night!!!! I can remember having a really long night like that not too long ago- DD stayed awake all through the night- 16 hrs straight with no sleep. I have cried like that too. Just wanted you to know that someone out there knows what you are going through! For the record, citrus drinks do upset my DD's tummy (much to my surprise b/c I drank them constantly when I was pg) And the culprit for keeping my DD up that one night? Crystal Light (sucralose). Hope you get some sleep tonight!

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

you guys are all so nice, it makes me want to cry...still hormonal i guess...I haven't had any juice today, and so far he seems to be better then last night.(knock on wood!) I will try eliminating the citrus for a few days...it couldn't hurt to try...I'll try anything to avoid another 8 hour crying spell!! Thanks guys!