Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reverse Cycling

Default Reverse Cycling

I went back to work about 4 weeks ago. Since then, my ds, who was getting up once to nurse (But always an early riser) has been getting up more. At first it was twice, now it is three times. Weekends are a little better. So, I thought.......maybe he is nursing more at night because of being at daycare. I never really knew how much he ate during the day prior, but at daycare, he is only eating 10 - 12 ozs. So I looked online and it is a true thing, and it has a name! Reverse cycling.

What is anyone's experience with this? Does it eventually go away or should I do something to help him along... I would think I would need to get him to eat more during the day and less at night. I have no problem with pumping and have NO supply issues.

TIA for your help.

Default Re: Reverse Cycling

Yes. It sounds like normal behavior. If you can get him to drink more in the day, that may solve the problem, but he might just miss the bf relationship and is so making up for it at night. If you want to sleep, trying giving more bf at daycare. If you don't care for him to wake at night, bf him. Maybe even try cosleeping so he can "help himself." Then maybe you can get more sleep. Good Luck.

Default Re: Reverse Cycling

My DD has been doing this for a long time. She is older, but for about 3 months has refused a bottle during the day (we don’t offer it at all anymore). She’s on solids and gets a little EBM in a cup, so she doesn’t starve, but she does make up for it by BFing when I get home from work and throughout the night. She had been waking an average of twice per night (the past two nights it has been only once). If she is ever waking a lot because of teething/illness/etc., we just co-sleep temporarily so I don’t have to get up a million times.
    For me, I try to just roll with it because I can’t blame her for wanting it from the source, and also I think we both like having the bonding time (even in the middle of the night). I agree that it might help to make a point to try and increase your LO’s daytime BM consumption. My DD and I usually have a nice long nurse when I get home from work-before we did that, she was waking about 3 times per night so it seems to have helped.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on