Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cluster feedings today & now no dirty diapers!

Default Cluster feedings today & now no dirty diapers!

I think my EBF 6 week old is getting enough....but she has not had any dirty diapers since last night, and she is usually producing dirty diapers after every feeding...she's also suffering from her first stuffy nose but I don't know if the cluster nursing has something to do with that - or with her not having any poops today. She's had wet diapers all day today though.

She's not overly fussy, but I haven't been able to hold her much without her wanting to nurse. So I've been holding and nursing most of the day now. She's been pretty sleepy much of the day as well when she's not nursing.

Should I be at all concerned about her not having any dirty diapers? Or chalk up both the cluster feedings and diaper issue to her having a cold?

Thanks,
    Amy

Default Re: Cluster feedings today & now no dirty diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by wisbet View Post
    I think my EBF 6 week old is getting enough....but she has not had any dirty diapers since last night, and she is usually producing dirty diapers after every feeding...she's also suffering from her first stuffy nose but I don't know if the cluster nursing has something to do with that - or with her not having any poops today. She's had wet diapers all day today though.

She's not overly fussy, but I haven't been able to hold her much without her wanting to nurse. So I've been holding and nursing most of the day now. She's been pretty sleepy much of the day as well when she's not nursing.

Should I be at all concerned about her not having any dirty diapers? Or chalk up both the cluster feedings and diaper issue to her having a cold?

Thanks,
    Amy
    Hello! My dd went through the same thing and what I ended up giving her some water in a bottle (I know nipple confusion could potentionally be a problem) and it helped her out alot and started pooping more regular like. HTH and congrats on the new lo.

Thank you. She's had a formula supplement (early on, for jaundice) but I haven't really tried any bottles for a while now. I will have to think about the water idea. I have read different opinions on giving babies water.

This is just so weird because usually (and yesterday) Lucy is a poop machine! So, this sudden lack of dirty soiled diapers to change is a little worrisome. I can't think of anything strange that I ate or drank that would have affected her so much.

Amy

I wouldn't worry about it just yet! Babies can go up to one week with out a poopy. I also would just continue to bf and not worry about water or any other supplementing. Since bm is mostly water anyway, it really is the best thing for your LO. Keep an eye on those diapers. Does she seem uncomfortable?? You may just need to get ready for one explosive poo!! Its perfectly normal as long as you don't notice anyother signs.

Kelly Mom says:
    Dirty diapers: Expect 3-4+ stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often--this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is yellow and loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy. After 4 - 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailaberrysmom View Post
    Hello! My dd went through the same thing and what I ended up giving her some water in a bottle (I know nipple confusion could potentionally be a problem) and it helped her out alot and started pooping more regular like. HTH and congrats on the new lo.
    Wet diapers are what's important. At six weeks it's not unusual or worrisome to skip a day (or even several) of having a bowel movement.

Just keep doing what you are doing ... nurse on demand. She may be going through a growth spurt or she could just be needing the extra comfort while feeling sick. Either way, the best thing to do is nurse whenever she wants to.

Note what Dr. Jay Gordon says regarding stool frequency:

"There is something important to point out regarding frequency of stooling in an exclusively breastfed baby. Many parents are concerned when after the early weeks where they may have been seeing a little bowel movement in almost every diaper, they suddenly begin to see days go by without any. This is perfectly normal. There is a great range of frequency of bowel movements with exclusively breastfed infants, ranging from a couple of times a day to several days. There are completely healthy nursing babies that have a bowel movement once a week, once every ten days, or even a few that go a bit longer. If your baby is healthy, developing well, nursing well and the consistency of the bowel movement when it does make its appearance is soft or loose, then do not be concerned. It is not constipation if it arrives in soft form. Constipation would arrive in pellets and hard formed pieces."

Water is not recommended for babies under six months.

Hope this helps!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hello! I personally wouldn't give the baby any water. She is too young for anything but breastmilk (or perhaps formula). Cluster feeding is very common, especially at this age. It sounds like she is going through a growth spurt. It is also perfectly normal for her bowel movements to begin to be less regular. Give it some time before panicking. Be sure that her diapers are truly wet - about 6 to 8 a day. Take a look at this link, it may help ease your mind. Good luck and please come back and let us know how she is doing.

Okay ... looks like kst7399, wyattsmama and I were all typing the same advice at the same time ... ... Hey, great minds think alike!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon