Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Shield

Question Nipple Shield

Hello everyone. So my son is 2 1/2 months old and has recently started COMPLETELY refusing my breasts. This happened once they stopped being hard and engorged as they always were. Once they became soft he just cries and cries and cries when I try to latch him. I had bottlefed and breastfed him since he was born and he never had a problem going back and forth. I am beginning to think it might just be nipple confusion, so I wanted to know if anyone has fed their babies with a nipple shield and how do you go about weaning off of it? I EP my milk and feed him in the bottle, if I just let him cry at my breast he will eventually fall asleep and I cant just let him go all day with out eating! Im thinking since the nipple shield is harder than my actual nipple he might latch on better. Im willing to try this if it will work! Anything to get him to latch and unclog my ducts my Medela PISA doesnt do the same job he does!! Thanks for your replies in advance
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Default Re: Nipple Shield

could be that he prefers the ease of bottle over breast. Do you pump for work? Will be back later to write more...DD just woke up and is calling!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    could be that he prefers the ease of bottle over breast. Do you pump for work? Will be back later to write more...DD just woke up and is calling!

I was also thinking this...he might have liked it when you were fuller because he got more milk instantly. What happens if you get the milk letdown going before you put him to the breast? Then he gets instant gratification for the "work" of of nursing.

Did you have an overactive letdown? Some babies miss that when it does go away. Or do you have one now? That sometimes bugs babies. My first HATED my OALD and would cry and fuss about being breastfed for some months.

Nipple shields are generally NOT recommended. They can sometimes interfere with milk production, causing a decrease, because they can decrease stimulation to the breast. Then you have to try to wean him off of it, and what if you lose the thing? I had to have one with my first for a while -- inverted nipples that didn't correct for a while -- and it was such a pain in the rear.

If that's the last ditch before you quit, try it, just knowing that eventually you may end up having to wean off of it.

Have you seen a board certified LC (not just somebody at the hospital) or an LLL leader? They might have some hands-on help you could tap into.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have OS and OALD... But I try every day and he just refuses the breast no matter what I do. Even if I try when hes a little asleep so he might not notice much... I was just thinking maybe trying the shield to get him back to the breast cuz he wont come to it at all!
    Mommy to 2 little boys
    Angel Gabriel 8/14/08 (didn't BF I was confused and thought I didn't have milk)
    Damian Gabriel 10/7/10 (BF and I now know I have an OVERSUPPLY, better more than none, I wish I would've known what I know now with my first)
    and

Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?