Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When are these foods good to give?

Default When are these foods good to give?

DD is almost 19 mths old but I was just wondering, would these be ok for her to try (if she's willing since she's a picky eater ):

a) ham (like lunch slices)
    b) wheat germ (not for the fiber, but for taste)
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: When are these foods good to give?

Both of mine ate ham around 12 mos and we did wheat germ in plain/unflavored yogurt starting around 9mos
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

as a general rule though we dont give Max lunch meat b/c of the nitrates and the odd pieces of pressed meat thing. However he'll eat ham/pork that I cook and slice.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    as a general rule though we dont give Max lunch meat b/c of the nitrates and the odd pieces of pressed meat thing. However he'll eat ham/pork that I cook and slice.
    We've found a nice brand of nitrate/nitrite free ham that I over. I will buy some and ask the deli person to slice it on a "10" (really thick). Then I'll take my paring knife and "cube" the ham. Cubed ham and cheese is one of their faves for lunch. Same with turkey or chicken.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    We've found a nice brand of nitrate/nitrite free ham that I over. I will buy some and ask the deli person to slice it on a "10" (really thick). Then I'll take my paring knife and "cube" the ham. Cubed ham and cheese is one of their faves for lunch. Same with turkey or chicken.
    I was wondering about pork. Not as an everyday thing, just once in a while. Is it Bohr's Head brand (sp?)
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Most delis will have a pamphlet that shows the ingrediants and you can find some that are natural, thats what we have done for ds. I think bohrs head makes some that are nitrate free, but ask your deli person to be sure.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    I was wondering about pork. Not as an everyday thing, just once in a while. Is it Bohr's Head brand (sp?)
    You should avoid processed foods of any kind ENTIRELY before the year point because of salt. They can't process the salt until after the year point. So no pork. Or pickles. Or ANYTHING processed because they put salt in everything as a preservative.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    You should avoid processed foods of any kind ENTIRELY before the year point because of salt. They can't process the salt until after the year point. So no pork. Or pickles. Or ANYTHING processed because they put salt in everything as a preservative.
    Her dd is 19 months.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliet1 View Post
    oh SOrry! I read that as 9 months. Yeah at 19 months You can do ham. Sorry.

Way too lazy for formula