Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Sour" smell of thawed bm getting worse?

Default "Sour" smell of thawed bm getting worse?

Hi there, still nursing one year old and plan to continue... BUT have been having trouble with my frozen bm going "sour" since I began freezing some early on (guess I have high levels of lipase.) This sour smell and off taste seems to have gotten worse over the months.

In any case, the past few times I left him and his father with a bottle of thawed bm while I was out, he refused after several attempts, took a few gulps then turned his head in disgust, as my dh described it, and wouldn't sleep until I got home to nurse him. He used to happily finish a 7/8oz bottle of the thawed stuff up until the past few months. My mother flew in a few weeks ago and had the same issue, so I had to come home to nurse him, then go back out on our date.

I plan to take more night classes and need to come up with another solution...

1. Is it possible that my levels of lipase can increase over time?
    2. I use playtex drop-ins as storage bags, then keep them in plastic containers in the back of the freezer for no more than 2 months before thawing...would using a thicker storage bag make a difference?
    3. My dh suggested he drink cow's milk while I'm out instead of the thawed stuff -but how would I introduce that to a breastfed baby, especially if I don't want to substitute on a daily basis?

Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance!

Default Re: "Sour" smell of thawed bm getting worse?

1. Is it possible that my levels of lipase can increase over time?
    Yes. In my experience, it seems to be pretty common for lipase issues to wax and wane with time.

2. I use playtex drop-ins as storage bags, then keep them in plastic containers in the back of the freezer for no more than 2 months before thawing...would using a thicker storage bag make a difference?
    Maybe...? I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Are you scalding your milk before storing it? That would deactivate the lipase and make the issue moot.

3. My dh suggested he drink cow's milk while I'm out instead of the thawed stuff -but how would I introduce that to a breastfed baby, especially if I don't want to substitute on a daily basis?
    He's over a year, so you can just give it to him whenever you please. If he'll take a bottle of EBM, great, if not, you can supply the runner up (whole cow's milk).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I work and discovered that a lot of my freezer stash is bad. I have been giving some mommy's milk mixed with cow's milk to make up DS's second daycare bottle. He usually takes it fine. At more than a year, I wouldn't worry about giving some cow's milk. Just make it whole milk, they need the fat. But if your child would just take a sippy with water and some solids while you're gone, that would probably be fine, too.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

It may be the Drop Ins... I use them and have the same problem. If I store in the drop in, the milk smells weird and my 2 month old refuses to drink it. I f i pump fresh into the drop in she will take it just fine so I'm beginning to think it is the plastic... I need to get some more drop ins so I was going to try a different kind and see if that helps any...
    Good luck to you though...(p.s. I know how it is to cut a date short to breastfeed, hang in there)
    Happy Married Mommy of 3
    B.A~4 Years old
    T.J~21 Months old
    S.A~4 Months old

It does sound like you have excess lipase. The freezer bags won't make a real difference with that. You'll need to scald your milk BEFORE you freeze it and that will stop it from going "sour."

There is a really great "sticky" forum under the milk storage section on this site.

Also, I wrote about my experience with excess lipase on my blog. If you aren't scalding yet, you might find my "how to" guide on my blog helpful.
    http://simplyrebekah.com/excess-lipase/