Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: extreme milk supply loss-basically down to nothing

Default extreme milk supply loss-basically down to nothing

I have always had a low supply. Tried to exclusively nurse and was told by the doctor I need to supplement- which I have. I pumped about 8 ounces a day and try and nurse when possible which is maybe twice a day. All of a sudden out of nowhere in the last 2 days I can't even pump 1 ounce a day and still nurse same amount!!! It is like my milk has all dried up!! I have an Ameda hospital grade pump that I have been renting so I know it is not the pump. I have done nothing different. I would go 10 hours at night and be engorged in the morning eveyday and would nurse now I am completely soft soft in the morning!! I am so upset and don't know why this happened!! Please help

Default Re: extreme milk supply loss-basically down to nothing

First thing for me is check the basics..#1 WATER! #2 CALORIES
    I have to watch them closely. Up your intake of both and see if it changes. If you are exercising more..up your water even more for that!
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Why did you start supplementing? How old is your baby?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hello. My baby is three months old. I started supplementing per doctors request. My milk supply is getting lower and lower. I am really sad and think I might as well quit nursing/pumping because it really it not worth the time for the tiny amount of milk I have. I had low milk supply with first daughter too but this never happened. I was able to nurse her for nine months. I am at a loss.

What was going on that the doctor requested you supplement? The problem with supplementing is that you are no longer signaling your body to make that milk, so your supply does decrease because your body thinks you don't need it.

How about pumping in the middle of those 10 hours at night? How are you even getting a 10 hour block at night without feeding your 3 month old? Are you giving her bottles or is she sleeping all that time? What about nursing her in the middle of the night?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

did you ever find an answer to this? I'm experiencing similar problems with my 7 month old. Earlier on, I tried More Milk Plus and fenugreek, oatmeal, beer, water all helped as well... now even those things aren't working. I would suggest pumping before you go to bed. It is a huge pain, but it helps.

Well first of all every time you supplement that affects your supply. You need to start pumping or nursing during the night during those 10 hours. 10 hours is way too long of a stretch without nursing or pumping and that is affecting your supply. I think nursing only twice a day may also be the problem. So...Try nursing your baby more when you're with him instead of supplementing and that will help your supply and your baby WILL gain the weight! pump/nurse atleast twice during those 10 hours at night (yes its a drag). During the night is when our breastmilk has lots of fat and calories so that will also help your baby gain weight. Best wishes.