Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums but I joined today because I need help! My son is 7 months old and I've been feeding him Gerber since he was 6 months until recently when I decided I wanted to cook him food myself. I've been steaming and grinding the same veggies and fruits that he eats from Gerber but instead I pick and buy organic fruits and veggies at the store. My problem is that he will not eat anything I cook! Everything that I make him he gags, spits out, or makes a disgusted face.
    I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, I mimic the consistency of the Gerber's that he eats, I check the temperature, I taste it, and it all seems fine! I've tried offering the same things later but it's the same story. I don't want him to not have a solid food for the day so I result in giving him any Gerber's we have left over. Can anyone tell me where I may be going wrong?

Default Re: Help!

I don't think you're going wrong. But I do think you're stressing too much. As long as you're nursing on demand and your baby's weight gain is normal, there's no reason to think that your child actually needs to eat solids. Until around 1 year of age, breastmilk alone meets a child's nutritional needs, and solids are just for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. So while your kid may enjoy the Gerber, he probably doesn't actually need the Gerber, or any solid food.

So, what should you do? I personally would advocate trying a baby-led solids approach (Tons of threads on BLS here, just search!). Instead of driving yourself nuts steaming and purreeing and then spoon-feeding, only to see all your hard work go down the drain, just put some soft, Cheerio-sized solids in front of your baby and let him experiment with getting them into his own mouth. Since your LO's nutritional needs are met by breastmilk alone, it doesn't matter how much he eats- think about it this way: if he eats some solids, great! If he tastes some and spits them out, great! At least he tried. And if he won't eat, and prefers to mush the solids around with his hands, great! He had a good time and learned something new.

My baby is almost 8 months, and for dinner tonight she ate a handful of Cheerios, some Gerber yam puffs (What can I say, I'm lazy!), and some Cheerio-sized pieces of cherries that had been frozen and then defrosted and were very mushy and gum-able. She has also eaten shreds of chicken, eggs (a disaster, for allergy reasons), bits of toast, rice crackers, and tiny pieces of tomato, strawberries, cucumbers, squash, sweet potato, bananas, peaches, noodles, and has sucked on peeled apple quarters. It's been fun!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My DD didn't really have any interest in solids/purees at 6 months. She's sort of picked up with it by 8 months. At 10 months, she will accept some of it - but not a whole lot.

I really wouldn't stress it, as mommal pointed out.

A lot of moms here do BLS. I do send my DD to DCP with purees still at 10 months - some are store-bought and some are homemade. My reason for using the purees is that I know DD can't choke on them and my DCP feels comfortable with them. At home, I let DD play with BLS type things. But at DCP, I feel better knowing she's safe with the purees vs. me worrying she will choke when their are lots of distractions around with other kids to watch.

It's weird that my DD likes some of the Gerber stuff a lot more than homemade stuff. I've tasted both, and the Gerber doesn't have any weird sugars or chemicals in it. So, I don't really get it. DD likes Beachnut even more than Gerber. It's weird. But I have to admit, that Cinnamon Raisin Granola that Beachnut makes in the jar is pretty dang tasty.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thank you guys for your advice. I just couldn't understand why he enjoys the Gerbers so much when the things I make seem to taste the same. I'll stick with the Gerber for now until he gets a little older.