Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when just feeding on one side?

Unhappy when just feeding on one side?

When my daughter only feeds on one side and falls asleep should I pump the other breast ? Will my supply drop on that side? Today it seems she is only feeding on one side then falling sleep I alway start with the other side from the last feeding but now I am worrying I will lose supply from her feeding like this and feel like I should pump but then I am worried that I will pump it and she will wake and want to eat more..... help I'm stressen and that's not good for supplu either!

Default Re: when just feeding on one side?

I have always nursed my baby on only one side at a time, alternating sides with each feeding.

Early on, I realized that the advice to offer both sides at each feeding was just not necessary for Joe and I, for whatever reason. Every woman has different "storage capacity." It's good for a baby to nurse as long as they please on one side before switching, because they get more of the fatty hindmilk that way. Trust your baby's instincts here - she'll tell you if she's not happy with nursing on just one side.

If you nurse on demand, your supply should not suffer whether you nurse one side or both. If your baby is still hungry, she'll wake up and ask for more!

So don't stress, just feed your baby when she cues.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

How's her weight gain going? IIRC your first few posts were about some concerns you had over your baby's weight...?

In general, if baby is gaining weight adequately, feeding on demand, and producing the right number of wet and poopy diapers, you can safely allow her to nurse on just one side per feeding if that's what she seems to want to do. If your supply does drop, your baby will be able to boost it right back up by nursing more frequently, taking both sides at a feeding, and emptying the breast or breasts more thoroughly when she nurses.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is gaining weight well now I have now dout she has been getting enough now she gained 2lb's in the last 2 weeks but I guess because I was told by her doctor from the start I was not producing enough I constantly worrying about my supply! I drink the mother milk tea and eat lots of oatmeal hopen it helps but today I am over whelmed not only has she only been eatting from just one side at a time each feeding today I have also had the return of my menstral which I have read can cause a decress in supply as well!!! I can't wait till tomorrow I will be attending my first local lll meeting and can't wait to talk with all the other breast feeding mothers these forms I believe have really helped me to stay strong and keep going when I don't have much support at home with people telling me why don't you just give her formula its easyer for everyone! Thank you ladies for giving support and answering my questions when I have no one else to ask!